Chapter 13 - Endure

Japanese Vocabulary: 1. Onigiri = Rice Ball 2. Sayōnara = Good bye

"Sayōnara!" The students waved a goodbye as we excited Konoha's main gate.

"Thank you for everything. We really appreciate you for coming today." Shikamaru-san says formally.

"Likewise, it's been a pleasure. If ever you need us again, just send a message." Gaara smiles mildly.

"Hm." Temari looked aside and smirked, which Shikamaru-san responded with a smile.

"Someday, I want to be a strong Shinobi like you, Temari-san!" Moegi-chan shouted eagerly, giving Temari a close-eyed smile.

"Well that's flattering." Temari laughed.

"So, the next time we'll be seeing each other is in the next mission." Shikamaru-san clarifies one more time and we nodded.

"We'll look forward to it, Shikamaru-san." I gave them one last goodbye as my team and I started walking.

"Hey, Gaara! I'll be stronger than you the next time we meet again, believe it!" Naruto shouted from behind. "And don't forget about me, Rika-chan!" I took one last glance at Naruto and smiled at him. He smiled back and nodded. I could see then from eyes that he was motivated to train hard.

A smile then formed in Gaara's lips. "Uzumaki Naruto... he can't be forgotten."

I nodded and smiled. "I still can't believe it though... I never would have thought that he's actually the Jinchūriki of Kyūbi.

Gaara agreed. "In the past I have thought so too."

"Is this about Naruto?" Temari joins. "Well, he is one of a kind."

Kankuro laughs. "He may be an idiot, but at least an entertainer."

"Geez." Temari sighs in relief. "At least the mission's over now."

"I'll start from here." Gaara then motioned his hand and created a sand platform, one that we used earlier in going to Konoha. As we jumped in the platform, it began to float in the air until it eventually started moving to the west. I could see the green view with a mixture of orange sunlight from up here once again. It was my favorite scenery of nature.

Gaara and I watched the sun setting from the rest as Temari and Kankuro joined.

"It's beautiful." I spoke my thoughts aloud.

~Gaara~

"It's beautiful." she said.

As I watched her stare at the sunset, I felt at ease. It was a familiar feeling I used to have when we were younger. Is this what it really feels like to have a childhood friend? There were a lot of things I wanted to know from Rika. Like the words that came out of her mouth, 'I was able to meet Gaara'. For some reason, she said it as if I was someone who was important to her. I wondered if she meant it.

For the first time I noticed her eyes glistening as she watched the sunset and how the wind made her hair move gently. She looked... beautiful. She reminded me of my mother. I remember how I used to look at the old picture of my mother as a child. Rika would then say I resembled a lot more of my mother than my father. That was because she saw kindness in my eyes.

Memories... huh.

You're not a monster to me.

We are the same.

You will always be my friend, Gaara!

I pictured a younger Rika and remembered the words she had said. I couldn't forget them. She was indeed like Uzumaki Naruto. She rescued me from my past and led me to a new beginning.