Chapter 4

~~~~~~~~~~
Fourteen years ago...

I pulled the 'Cuda into Twist's parking lot before getting out, Wendy following close behind.

"Is that the infamous 'hunk of shit' from your garage?" Blake asked as we sat down at the bar.

I nodded. "Yep, that's her."

"She doesn't look to bad to me, what is it?"

"A 1973 Plymouth 'Cuda." I replied.

She nodded, taking a quick look at it through the window. "Anyway, the usual?"

We nodded and Blake set out our drinks.

After about an hour of being there, my phone rang out from my pocket.

I pulled it out and answered. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's mom, can you pick Beth up from Stephanie's house? I'm stuck at work."

"Sure thing, mom." I replied.

"Thanks, sweetie."

I said goodbye and hung up.

"Whats up?" Wendy asked.

"Gotta go pick up Beth from her friends, wanna tag along?"

She shrugged. "Sure. See you later, Blake."

She waved us off as we walked out to my car before driving off in search of Stephanie's house.

When we finally found it, I pulled into the driveway and honked the horn.

They came out and Beth gave Stephanie a quick hug before waving goodbye and running up to the car.

Wendy got out and helped her into the backseat before getting back in.

"Hey, junior, hows it been?" Wendy greeted.

Beth smiled. "Hi, Wendy. Pretty good. I made a new friend."

Wendy smiled back. "I can see that. Where'd you meet her?"

"The library. Shes really funny and really nice."

"Thats good to hear." Wendy replied.

I took a quick glance at Beth in the rearview mirror. "So, you wanna go home now, or grab some ice cream first?"

Beth smiled. "Obviously I want ice cream first."

Wendy and I laughed as I turned down the road towards the ice cream parlor.

We parked in the parking lot and walked through the front doors of the ice cream parlor, the ding of a bell signalling our arrival.

Thats when I saw her.

Maxine walked out from the back, a bright smile on her face. "Hey, Skylar, nice to see you again."

"Uh, you to." I replied nervously.

She nodded before looking down at Beth. "And who's this?"

Beth stuck her hand out. "Beth."

Maxine shook her hand. "Well, its nice to meet you, Beth. I'm Maxine."

Wendy gave her an awkward wave. "Hey, I'm Wendy."

Maxine waved back. "Nice to meet you to."

An awkward silence soon fell over the group before Wendy nudged me towards the counter.

I cleared my throat. "Right, um, I'll take a chocolate cone and Beth will have a strawberry sundae."

Maxine nodded before looking to Wendy.

"Oh, yeah, I'll have a vanilla cone." She said.

"Lame." I joked.

Wendy glared at me, but Maxine laughed.

"Sorry but, she has a point." Maxine said.

Wendy folded her arms over her chest. "Whatever."

"Chocolate is obviously the better flavor." I said.

Maxine chuckled. "Oh, no doubt. You have good taste."

I felt my cheeks start to heat up. "Thanks, uh, you to."

She smiled and nodded before heading to the back to grab our orders.

"'Oh, no doubt.'" Wendy mocked, throwing in a valley girl laugh for good measure.

I rolled my eyes and nudged her. "Grow up."

"I'm older than you." She replied.

"Maybe your body. But, my mind is far older and wiser. Trust me, my young grasshopper."

She rolled her eyes. "Asshole."

I laughed to myself as Maxine returned with our order.

"Here you are. Stop by anytime, Skylar." She said, taking the couple bills from my hand.

Her fingers brushed mine for just a second, but it was enough to derail my whole train of thought.

"Uh, yeah, no doubt." I replied, giving her a thumbs up.

She just smiled and waved us off.

Wendy started laughing as soon as we made it to the parking lot. "You're hopeless." She said.

I just flipped her off before getting in the driver's seat.

After finishing our ice cream, I dropped Wendy off, then headed home.

   We walked in and Beth took off for her room, while I sat on the couch and pulled out my phone, dialing my moms number.

   She picked up after a few rings. "Hello?"

   "Hey, mom, it's Skylar. Just wanted to let you know I got Beth home safe and sound."

   My mom chuckled a little. "Great work, you deserve a medal."

   I laughed in return. "Hey, do you have a minute? I wanted to talk to you about something."

   "Sure, sweetie. What's up?"

   I sighed, rubbing my forearm. "Well, there's this girl I really like and I wanna ask her out on a date... But, I don't really know if she even likes me in the first place."

   "Well, sometimes you just have to follow your heart and hope everything works out. If you really like this girl, then you should just go for it. Don't let it pass you by."

   I smiled. "You know, a friend of mine gave me very similar advice."

   "Well, you should take it. I'm sure everything will work out, sweetie."

   "Alright. Thanks, mom."

   "No problem. I love you."

   "Love you to." I replied before hanging up, staring off into space as my mind wandered.

   'They're right, if you don't go for it, you might miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime. She could be the girl I spend the rest of my life with for all I know, I owe it to myself to at least try...'
~~~~~~~~~~
Present day...

   "Sounds like you were really starting to transform yourself into the unstoppable flirting machine sitting in front of me now." Rebecca said.

   I laughed. "Only for you, babe."

   She rolled her eyes. "Anyway, what happened next?"

   I checked the time on my phone. "You and I went to pick up the kids from school."

   She flashed me a humorous smile. "You're jumping a little far ahead, don't you think?"

   I smiled back, shaking my head. "C'mon, they'll be getting out soon. Let's not make them wait... Besides, I think they'll like the next part of the story."

   "Oh yeah? Why's that?" Rebecca asked, throwing her jacket on.

   "Because, it's when I started tenth grade..."