Chapter 9

~~~~~~~~~~
Twelve Years Ago...

I woke up to the sound of loud music coming from downstairs.

I checked the time before rolling out of bed with a groan.

After getting ready for the day, I headed downstairs, seeing Beth sitting on the couch, nodding her head to the music, while my mom sat at the kitchen table, looking over her paperwork.

"It's a little early for music, don't you think?" I asked, sitting down on the couch next to Beth, grabbing a few of her CD's from the coffee table.

I raised an eyebrow as I flipped through them. "I mean, what the hell is a 'Foo Fighter' anyways..? Or a 'Papa Roach' for that matter?"

Beth rolled her eyes. "Well, they definitely aren't some wannabe hair band from the 80's"

"Hey... I listen to newer stuff." I replied defensively.

She folded her arms over her chest. "Yeah? Name one."

   My mom laughed. "She's got you now."

   I turned to her. "Is that really the Stevie Nicks fangirl I'm hearing from right now?"

   My mom looked up at me. "Watch it, that woman is a national treasure."

   I smiled and shook my head. "Right."

   Beth nudged me. "Trying to dodge the question, huh?"

I rubbed my chin. "No, just gimme a second, I'm thinking..."

   "I'm waiting." Beth said.

   "Fine... Soundgarden's pretty cool... And, Audioslave isn't terrible. There, that's two, so bite me."

She scoffed. "That doesn't count, they're basically the same thing."

"What? How? They're two different bands."

"With the same singer."

I took a quick side glance at her. "Oh... really?"

She let out a long breath. "Yeah, really. Maybe just stick to your old people shit."

"Language." My mom called from the kitchen.

I chuckled lightly before getting to my feet. "Well, I'll leave you to your young people shit, I've got stuff to do."

"That counts for you to, young lady." My mom said.

Beth laughed as I headed for the door.

"Yeah, love you guys to." I said, closing the door behind me.

I hopped in my car after that, dialing Wendy's number.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hey, wanna head down to Twist?" I asked.

"Sure, I'll meet you there."

"Alright, cool, I'll see you in a few."

"Bye." She replied before hanging up.

I stuffed my phone in my pocket before starting the car and heading off for Twist...

I walked through the doors and took a seat at the bar, Blake walking up shortly after.

"Hey, you're here early." She said, handing me a beer.

I took a long sip. "Yeah, Beth's music woke me up."

Blake chuckled as Wendy came strolling through the door, taking the empty seat next to me.

"Hey, do either of you know what the hell a 'Foo Fighter' is?" I asked.