Chapter Five

"Yeah, sadly we are stuck on this island," I sighed and sat down on the sand. Zayn dropped his hammer and walked over to me and sat down.

"You can cry if you want," He told me. "No, I can't cry in front of you just because we are stuck on an island and we might possibly die by starvation or a wild animal is going to kill us and I'll never get to go to college and I won't get married or have kids and-" I choked up and stopped.

"It's okay Helen, I won't judge or tell anyone," Zayn rubbed my back and made me shiver. I didn't know if it was delightful or scary.

I let one tear fall. Then another and another. Pretty soon I was sobbing, thinking about all of the negative possibilities of being stranded on an island. Then unexpectedly, Zayn wrapped his arms around me and brought me into a hug.

I didn't fight it because it felt good to have comfort in this type of situation. I cried into his shoulder uncontrollably for about five minutes. Then I separated from him. My tears made his entire sleeve drenching wet.

"S-Sorry," I managed to say. "It's cool. Nothing better than a hot, strong, geeky girl crying into your shoulder while you're comforting her," He smirked and got up. I just sat there, too embarrassed to move or even talk back to him.

"I'll work on the shelter and let you sit there for a while," Zayn said and walked toward the pile of logs.

"I want to help. I don't want to be useless," I finally said. "Okay, come here. We can work on the shelter," He responded. I got up and quickly walked with Zayn.

"I just realized that we can't make a shelter above ground. So, we can get two or three logs and stick them in between two trees. Then, we put the leaves on top of the logs as a roof. Also, we should put logs on the sand and rocks on top of the leaves so they don't fly away. Okay?" Zayn told me.

"Okay," I replied. Zayn grabbed a skinny rock so he could use it as a drill. He made holes in the trees so we could stick logs into them. I handed him the logs and he put them in between the trees. Then, we both put the leaves on top and then rocks on top of them.

"Okay, the roof is done. Now we gotta put logs on the sand. Then we will start the fire. It's gonna take a while to start it so we have to start now," He told me. He really was the camping expert.

We both put the logs under the roof on top of the sand.

"Well, I think we are done with the shelter. Time for fire," Zayn smiled deviously. I backed away and he just laughed. He got little rocks and set them up in a circle with firewood in the middle of them.

"I'm going to try to make fire. Can you go get a couple of coconuts?" Zayn asked me and I nodded, heading off into the jungle once again.

I stumbled across some coconuts on the floor and picked them up. I ran back to camp and set them on the ground by the shelter.

"Done," I wiped my hands on my dress. "Great, now crack them open. Use the hammer," Zayn pointed to the hammer on a wooden log. I walked over to it and picked it up. I grabbed a coconut and hit it with the hammer.

I split all of the coconuts in half and put them in a pile. Then I sat on the wooden log and sighed.

Then I smelled fire. I looked over at Zayn and he was smiling. He finally got the firewood to burn.