1 Miller's Knot

The Ties That Bind

"Episode 1 - Miller's Knot"

[song playing: Coldplay - Sunrise]

(an overhead view shows David sleeping on a king-sized bed)

(David tosses and turns several times before waking up and frantically gasping for air. His adrenaline subsides as he sluggishly begins to recognize his surroundings. He wipes away the sweat on his forehead and reaches for the light switch next to his bed. He struggles to flick it on. Lightning, momentarily, illuminates the room as thunder reverberates soon thereafter. He pulls the heavy blanket away from his body and makes his way out of bed)

[Next Scene]

(David walks out of his room into an adjacent bedroom lit by a nightlight. He steps on a few toys before reaching Dylan's bed. He tucks him in tightly and kisses him on the forehead before quietly leaving the room. David glances to the right and sees the silver light peeping through the cracks of Max's door. He quietly makes his way towards the room at the end of the long hallway. With his ear against the door, David heartbreakingly listens to the muffling sobs inside the room. He hesitantly places his hand on the doorknob for a moment before letting go and walking back to his room)

[song playing: Coldplay - Sunrise (song ends)]

[Next Scene]

(the next morning)

(exterior view of the company building)

(David is pacing back and forth in front of Tom's desk with a panoramic view of the city in the background)

(Tom, seated, is searching through a stack of papers)

DAVID: (fervently)...it was like out of a movie! He'd appear out of nowhere. I'd run left and (claps) BAM!

(Tom, startled, looks up at David)

DAVID: I'd go right, and- (about to clap) Well, you get the point...

(Tom nods, disinterested in what David is saying)

DAVID: And I think he's trying to tell me something...that, o-or he's trying to kill me...

TOM: (under his breath) Tell 'em to get in line.

(David looks at Tom but is still deep in thought)

DAVID: Oh, and he was drenched in blood! 

TOM: (excitedly) Blood?!

DAVID: (looking at his hands) And my hands, too.

(Tom's face lights up when he hears the dramatic turn of events in David's story)

TOM: Now we're talkin'. Go on...

(David fidgets with a Mont Blanc pen in his hands)

DAVID: That's it. Then, I woke up.

TOM: (disappointed) Ugh...what a buzz-kill.

DAVID: So...

(Tom squints his eyes)

TOM: So...?

DAVID: Why are you looking at me like that?

TOM: (confused) Well, I feel like I've heard this before. Did we watch something like this on Netflix?

DAVID: Are you trolling me?

(Tom anxiously takes off his glasses and places them on the desk. He rubs his eyes with his left hand then sighs)