Chapter 4

The Xia Empire was located on the northern shore of the Hong River. It was customary for their people to know martial arts and their army was valiant. Since their ancestors, they were a nomadic race which roamed in search of water and green pastures.

The first long ring from the city’s clock sounded at the crack of dawn, sounding majestic as if it were miles away. The city’s gates opened slowly as the clock rang with sunlight shining upon the city, signifying the start of a new day in Zhen Huang City under the iron-fisted rule of the empire.

“Go!” a clear voice shouted strictly.

A handsome black horse raised its white hooves, galloping on the snow outside Zhen Huang city, kicking up snowflakes in its wake. Its hooves clanged as it hit the ground, leaving ten or so men far behind.

“Yan Shizi, you’re late!” Zhuge Huai said towards them after a hearty laugh, while steering his horse forward.

Standing by him were four teenagers, the youngest eleven to twelve years old, and the eldest being merely thirteen to fourteen years old. All of them were dressed in brocade clothes, surrounding him from the back, appearing handsome and smart. Hearing his voice, they turned in unison, looking at the man coming towards them.

Yan Xun halted his horse with a shout. His horse reared and neighed loudly, landing steadily on the snowy plain. Yan Xun was dressed in azure colored clothes, with a few carps stitched at the end of his robes with gold and silver thread. He had a white, long fur coat on his shoulders. He laughed, “I heard the news of you, Brother Zhuge. The eighth princess was at my home and I couldn’t leave her there alone. Sorry to keep everyone waiting.” He had a hearty voice and smiled youthfully. Only through his half-closed eyes, one could tell that he was a little introverted. With a mink scarf around his neck, he looked regal, casual and elegant. Yan Xun was no older than thirteen to fourteen years old, but he definitely radiated the elegance and stature of one that was older.

“I did not know you had a date with a beautiful woman. It seems like we have spoiled the mood for you, your Royal Highness,” the prince said while walking forward. He was wearing turquoise clothes and his voice seemed prepubescent. He looked no more than twelve to thirteen years old and his eyes curved like that of a fox and he spoke with glee.

Yan Xun laughed slightly and said with a moderate tone, “Second prince of Wei, you must be joking. If not for you causing me to break the princess’ glass cup during the state banquet a few days ago, I would not have the privilege of having her at my place today. Speaking of which, I must thank you for giving me that opportunity.”

The young prince smiled and was not offended by it. He turned and said to another teenager by his side, dressed in green robes, “You see, Mu Yun, I told you his Royal Highness would not let this go and would definitely talk to me about this.”

Mu Yun raised his brows and said, “How many in this imperial city have suffered because of you? Royal Highness Yan has a good temper. If it was me, I would have rushed to your place and confronted you the night before.”

“Are we still competing? If you two would like to keep talking, we might as well head back!” A teenager in black clothes walked forward with a huge bright yellow bow at his waist, obviously his weapon of choice.

Yan Xun looked as if he just saw this teenager. He jumped off his horse and bowed respectfully, “Oh, the Seventh Highness is here, please pardon my poor eyesight.”

Zhao Che gave Yan Xun a slanted gaze and smirked to acknowledge their presence. “My eighth brother and I have got to head to the bookstore during dinner time, we don’t have much time to waste,” he said straight to Zhuge Huai.