39

Chu Qiao's face was as fair as a white jade; her skin clear and tender, showing signs of the bitter cold weather outside. Yan Xun used his fingers to warm her up, causing her to fall into a daze. She could not help but blush when he did that, pushing his hands away uneasily. She frowned and said, "What are you doing?"

"Here." Yan Xun showed her his hands, and a grain of shiny white rice was stuck to his fingertip. He laughed and said, "AhChu, you must've been really hungry out there. I think I have to compensate you for your effort."

As Chu Qiao opened her mouth to speak, she suddenly caught a glimpse of Yan Xun's fingers. On his pale hand, there were four long and slender fingers, but part of his pinkie was cut off.

Chu Qiao's gaze suddenly turned cold. As she slowly scooped up a mouthful of rice, she raised her head and said in a deep tone, "If we succeed this time, Wei Jing will never be able to climb into power again."

The atmosphere became quiet all of a sudden as Yan Xun looked at the side of Chu Qiao's face. He raised his hand and patted her shoulder. "AhChu, don't think too much."

"Yan Xun, I will not be reckless. I will do what I can." Chu Qiao suddenly sounded bored as she lowered her voice and said, "We have waited for so many years, I will not lose my patience now."

The warm afternoon sun shone through the windows, engulfing them in a warm glow. There seemed to be a taste of spring in the air. Time flew and the young children from the past had now turned into adults. The sun shone brightly outside. There were things that had changed, but there were things that aged like wine, turning mellow with time.

"AhChu, since you are back, don't head out again. Take a good rest."

Chu Qiao raised her head. Although she was not very old, she had grown into a beauty. Her eyebrows curved, which was an uncommon sight among the ordinary noble woman as she seemed to possess more spirit and wisdom. She lowered her head, resting her forehead on Yan Xun's chest as she whispered, "Okay."

Yan Xun reached out to pull the girl into an embrace. He gently patted her back and said, "When we return to Yan Bei, spring should be there. I will bring you to Huo Lei plains to hunt for wild horses."

"Okay." Chu Qiao sounded somewhat vexed as she said, "We will do that."

Time passed slowly. Yan Xun's shoulder started to ache but Chu Qiao remained silent for a long while. The boy looked down, seeing the long eyelashes casting a silhouette on her face. Under the sunlight, she seemed even more beautiful.

"AhChu?" Yan Xun murmured, but saw no response from Chu Qiao. He chuckled softly under his breath, "She actually fell asleep in this position." He stood up and carried her by the waist. With her alertness, she did not struggle, as if she knew that she was in a safe place.

When they walked out of the study room, AhJing came forward immediately. Yan Xun gave him a glare, causing AhJing and several other servants to back off instantly, not daring to make a sound. They watched as Yan Xun slowly carried Chu Qiao, who was dressed in men's clothes, into the bedroom.

After a while, the Prince Yan walked out of the door. AhJing came forward hurriedly.

"What happened?"

"They were ambushed on the way back. Miss led her men as they took an alternative route from Lu Ye, rushing back here. She was afraid that your Highness would be worried; hence she did not stop her horse for three days. I'm afraid that she might be too exhausted."

Yan Xun furrowed his eyebrows tightly together as he muttered, "Where are those people?"

"They are now 80 miles west of Zhen Huang City, at Liang Shan Town. Our men are currently watching them. Your Highness, do you want to take action?"