Chapter 27

Yan Xun fixed his gaze on her intently, his eyes lighting up like fire. Chu Qiao rolled off the horse swiftly, her slight frame showed no trouble in doing so. Once she was off the horse, she lifted her chin to gaze back at him. "I'll be leaving now, Yan Xun. Though we may live in different worlds, in my heart I will remember all the times when you lent me your hand. If there ever comes a day when I can return the favor, I will."

Yan Xun did not respond, but a faint smile reached his lips.

From the look on his face, Chu Qiao suspected that something was up but did not overthink the issue. Time was running short, and it wouldn't do her any good to linger here. Although the entire affair got a little out of hand, not only did Zhuge Yue come out of nowhere, but the troops of the Wei family and the Dauntless Cavalry Camp were alerted as well. The extent of the commotion was ridiculous. However, in such a large city, she was confident she could hide safely.

The child knelt and tightened the coat she wore. She took one last glance at Yan Xun, then turned around and quickly ran off towards the empty street.

Horsesteps abruptly sounded behind her. Before she could turn back and see, Chu Qiao's tiny body was picked up by someone. Yan Xun's laughter sounded warmly from behind her. "Don't believe I can't protect a lass like you? Let's go! We return to Yan Bei tonight. I shall see what the generals of the Wei Army and the Dauntless Cavalry Camp can do about that!" That said, he brought his whip down hard, then rapidly galloped towards the city gates.

"Your Highness!" Surprised, Feng Mian and Yan Shiqi cried aloud at the same time.

"Shiqi, gather our men, and follow me out of the city."

The north wind whistled and the snow covered the sky. More than a hundred riders galloped frantically on the streets and startled a large portion of Zhen Huang City residents from their sleep. But none of them were keen to know what happened that night. They cautiously sealed their windows, afraid that trouble would come to them if they got involved.

Yan Xun reined on his war horse, then put up a hand to stop the movements of the Yan Guards behind him. The young prince raised his chin slightly, staring at the rows of soldiers on the opposite side with a cold gaze. Yan Shiqi spurred forward. "We are soldiers of His Highness, the Prince of Yan Bei, Yan Xun. Who goes there and why do you block our path?" he hailed loudly.

"I am the Army Major General of the North Barricade of the Dauntless Cavalry Camp with orders to lock down this road." A resonant voice sounded across from him.

Yan Xun's eyebrows tightened. "I hold imperial orders from Sheng Jin palace! Who dares stand in my way?" he proclaimed, showing his displeasure.

"That's rather unfortunate." A slightly feminine voice spoke slowly. The voice wasn't loud, but in the silent night it sounded rather ear-piercing and dense with coldness.

A young boy dressed in ink-green silk robes circled to the front of the crowd. His lips formed a slight smile, then slowly said, "Prince of Yan, unlucky for you, I happen to have imperial orders from Sheng Jin palace as well. Tonight, no one leaves the city. Those who violate that order will be..." The boy paused intentionally, his eyes going up and down Yan Xun's body. Then he faintly smiled, spitting out his next three words, "...killed without pardon."

"Wei Jing?" Yan Xun arched his eyebrows. A full length of a horse behind him, Chu Qiao spurred forward as well. Using his hand, the one with the whip, Yan Xun silently put up his arm. He blocked her path and shielded her from sight. Dressed in the Yan guards' clothing, Chu Qiao felt warmth in her heart. She lifted her head and looked at Yan Xun's straight, poised spine. The warmth crept into her, and on a cold night like this, it felt especially precious.