Chapter 32

The edges of her lips slowly raised. She laughed plainly and nodded heavily, saying lightly, "Sure. Let's go to Yan Bei."

The night was long. In the icy-cold, humid prison cell within the capital, two small children were separated by a wall. They sat in their respective cells, their hands reaching through the hole they had made, intertwined with each other's.

We will go to Yan Bei. We will make it out of here.

The night and the raging winds passed. The sky slowly brightened up. The sounds of heavy footsteps rudely awakened the sleeping children. They swiftly retracted their hands, covering the hole even before they had opened their eyes. They saw black cotton boots stepping on the dusty prison floor, step by step. Crisp sounds of keys jangling together resonated non-stop.

With a clack, about fifty soldiers entered the cell, filling it up fully. They were all dressed in green body armor, adorned with a yellow cloak. The warden carefully stood behind them, nodding and bending his back. Chu Qiao sat in the corner, staring coldly at the guards. Her heart sank.

Yan Xun sat on the floor, his back facing the entrance. Without blinking, the aura of warmth around him faded. He reverted back to his stoic expression, ignoring any outsiders that passed by.

The leader of the guards stared at the Prince of Yan Bei, a member of the Xia Empire's royal family. His expression was cold, devoid of any respect. He took out a royal decree and proceeded to read it by the book, "By the orders of Sheng Jin Palace, Yan Xun, the Prince of Yan Bei, is to proceed to Jiu You Platform to await his sentence."

Another guard stepped forward and sneered, his lips remaining straight. "After you, Prince Yan."

The young man opened his eyes slowly. The look in his eyes was sharp. With a simple glance, he sent an uncontrollable cold shiver up the guard's spine. He seemed to understand what was going on, but he maintained the arrogant look on his face. He stood up stubbornly and walked towards the entrance of the prison. The group of guards held the shackles that they had prepared. They thought for a long while, before putting it behind their backs. They exchanged eye contact with each other and promptly followed.

The young man's snow-white robe swept across the ground, stirring up the dirty dust that had settled on the floor, causing it to land on his white boots made of deerskin. A golden dragon with five claws, a pattern exclusive to the royal family, was embroidered on it. Under the reflection of the morning sun, it appeared extremely striking. Even in such a pathetic situation, it was still able to stand out. It seemed as if it was sending out a reminder that the lineage of Yan Bei was still a part of the Xia Empire no matter what.

The wind streamed through the long, dark passageway, bringing with it the remnants of fresh air outside and the bone-piercing cold.

A hand suddenly popped out from within the grills of the prison cell. It was pale and thin, just like refined porcelain. It gave people the misconception that they could break it with just a little strength. However, it was precisely this hand that blocked everyone's way by grabbing onto Yan Xun's leg, holding onto his trousers tightly, determined not to let go.

"What are you doing? Are you tired of living?" one of the guards raged, stepping forward and shouting.

Yan Xun looked back and stared at the guard. His expression was cold and serious, suppressing any further words that the guard had to say. The young man squatted down and held onto the child's thin finger. He frowned, looking at the frail child. He remarked in a low tone, "AhChu, don't cause trouble."

"You broke your promise!" Chu Qiao, a bright look in her eyes, looked up stubbornly and uttered, "You said you wouldn't abandon me."

Yan Xun frowned. From living in the capital, which was the center of power, for a long time, he sensed that things would not proceed the way he thought the moment he saw the imperial guards. Some things he was unaware of might have happened, which were out of his control. It was hard to guess whether a good thing or a tragedy had happened. How could he let her take the risk by bringing her along with him? The young man locked his eyebrows and declared in a deep tone, "I won't abandon you. Patiently wait here for me to come back."