chapter 16 > her illness

Jeongyeon exited the restroom that evening. The game finally ended and her team won. She went to change her clothes while Mina waited for her outside.

"Sorry I took so long, Mina. Let's go-" Jeongyeon looked up when she realized that she was talking to herself. Her Japanese friend was nowhere to be found. "Mina? Where did you go?" Jeongyeon continued to walk while looking around her for the sign of her friend.

Suddenly she felt her body getting weak, her visions blurry again and she felt cold. "What's wrong with me..?" She shook her head and held on a little longer so she could make it to her dorm. The bag she was carrying felt heavier on her shoulder and her head suddenly hurting. Jeongyeon paused to hold her throbbing head.

"It hurts.." Jeongyeon felt her body started losing balance. Then, as the wind brushed through her, she blacked out and her body fell down.

---

Namjoon was waiting for his other members, Taehyung, Jin and Hoseok who went to the cafe in the second school building to buy some food and drinks. He was outside, waiting when his eyes saw Jeongyeon exiting the first school building. (go to 'details+settings of the story' part to understand more about the school plan!'

He let out an amused laugh at the girl he's looking at. "Why is she walking like a zombie?" Namjoon laughed again at the sight before him. The girl's head hung low and she took small steps forward. Then suddenly, her fragile body collapsed to the ground, which surprised Namjoon.

He looked around the school ground but saw noone going to her to help her. Letting out a sigh, he jogged to her and examine her condition. "Jeongyeon?" Namjoon tried moving her by touching her arm. Then he saw that she was drenched in sweat. He tried putting his hand on her forehead and winced. "She's burning!"

"Hyung!" Namjoon heard Taehyung yelled out his name. "Over here!" He answered.

"What happened to her?" Jin asked after he, Taehyung and Hoseok arrived at the scene. Namjoon put his arms under Jeongyeon's back and knee to carry her. "I don't know. She just passed out. Help me find her group members. They might be worried. I'm going to the nurse's office." Taehyung and Jin nodded and walked away hurriedly while Hoseok followed Namjoon to see the nurse.

"Jeongyeon?!" They heard a girl's shouted and turned their heads to see a panicked Mina behind them. The Japanese girl ran to the two men hurriedly with worry plastered on her face.

"What's going on? Where are you taking her?" She shot the questions in confusion. Hoseok helped Namjoon to answer her and said, "Your friend just passed out outside in the middle of the school ground. We're going to bring her to the nurse's office."

Mina gasped quietly at his explanation. "What? Passed out? Oh no.." She then followed them on their way to see the nurse. Hoseok nodded and continued when he saw Mina taking out her phone to call her members. "Don't worry, Taehyung and Jin already went to find your group members to inform about the case."

---

"WHAT?!" Jihyo and the other TWICE girls shouted in shock. They were outside of their dorms with Taehyung and Jin panting a little after running to the dorm room. "Yeah, they're in the nurse's office right now." Taehyung explained.

The girls all then rushed to the location in a flash while Taehyung and Jin breathing hardly. "Do we need to run again?" Jin asked.

Taehyung panted and stood straight. "No shit."

"Jeongyeon–" The girls finally arrived at the nurse office to see their guardian laying on the bed unconscious. Mina, Namjoon and Hoseok were standing beside her when they saw the girls arrived. Soon then, Jin and Taehyung arrived as well behind them.

"Is she alright?" Jihyo asked firstly. A nurse came inside and helped answering her question. "Nothing bad happened to your friend. She just has a serious fever." She explained shortly. The girls sighed heavily in relief. "Thank goodness.." Nayeon murmured.

Then after a few minutes, Jeongyeon's eyes fluttered. Her lids half opened as she scanned the room around her. "Jeongyeon?" She heard one of her member calling her. "You're awake!" Jeongyeon slowly began to sit up, but the pain in her head refused her to do so.

"Where.. am I?" She asked lowly. Mina went beside her and said, "Jeongyeon, are you feeling alright?"

"Why?.." Jeongyeon asked again.

"You passed out, Jeongyeon. I'm sorry, I should've waited for you outside the restroom instead of wandering off." Mina explained further to the older, who frowned, confused.

"H-How did I get here?"

Mina smiled at her and was about to point at Namjoon and said, "Well, thankfully Namjoon was ther–"

"Actually, Mina carried you to here!" Namjoon cut off Mina's words before she could finish it. Mina looked at the BTS leader to question him about it, but the male shook his head at her. "Uh– yeah. I carried you here by myself, Jeongyeon. Not to mention your surprisingly light weight. Have you loss your weight lately?"

Taehyung, Jin and Hoseok stared at Namjoon weirdly while the other girls looked at Mina and Jeongyeon. "But, with my strong arms, I was able to drag you here." Mina finished with a convincing smile at the older. Jeongyeon stared at her, dumbfounded and nodded slowly. "Heh.. thanks."

"Well, we'll leave now then!" Namjoon laughed nervously and dragged his members to exit the room. The girls said their goodbyes and thank you's to the men as they left.

After the door is closed, Jeongyeon looked up at Mina. "Why were they here?" Mina scratched her head nervously for an answer. Then Nayeon spoke up, "Who cares about them? You're alright now, Jeongyeon. We're here for you." She said and looked at Mina, who's smiling gratefully at her. Jeongyeon nodded again and rested her head on the pillow.

The nurse then appeared again and said, "I'm sorry, but I need to ask you girls to leave the room for the patient to recover. Only two person is allowed to stay by her side."

"Then, Mina and I will stay here as we're her roommates." Nayeon said. The others nodded and began to leave. "Goodbye, Jeongyeon. Get well soon." They all said not so loudly and Jeongyeon waved back at them with a weak smile. After the door was closed, Nayeon and Mina turned again to look at the nurse who stayed.

"What's the matter?" Nayeon asked the nurse who should leave by now. "Please advice your friend to go see a doctor as soon as possible. Her condition is getting worse." She bowed politely and then left. They both shared a confused look at each other.

"Her condition?"

"Getting worse?"

"Mina, Nayeon.." They both then heard Jeongyeon called out weakly and turned their heads to her. "Yes, Jeongyeon?"

"I have something to tell you.. But you can't tell the girls." she said. Nayeon and Mina nodded hastily. "What is it?" Jeongyeon gulped and then spoke.

"I'm diagnosed with.. leukemia."