Everyday Is Like Sunday

Eight weeks had passed. Mallory's bones has healed and he can go home now. His brother packed his bags and they journeyed their way at the bus stop.

They passed by the flower shop near the bus stop. Mallory turned and noticed Mortimer gazing at the flowers with his grey jacket on his left arm. 

"'Hey, Morty." 

"Hmm?" Mortimer replied. 

"What are you looking at?" 

"White lilies."

Mallory also stared at the white and yellow flower.

"Oh, aren't those your favorite flowers?"

"Yes, it is. I'm quite surprised that you still remember after all this time."

"Yeah, can you remind me why it's your favorite?" 

"They symbolizes purity and modesty. Something that is quite hard to find this days." 

"...Yeah," Mallory simply replied.

Mortimer looked as Mallory gently sat at the nearby bench. His older brother patted the empty space besides him.

Mortimer sat and pressed his tongue on against his cheek, showing his uncertainty. "I am sorry if I was blunt the last time," He muttered, twitching his nose. 

"It's fine, Morty. I noticed you don't twitch your nose as much." 

"Was it noticeable? Did they notice?"

"Not at all. You are getting good at controlling your tics." 

"Is that so? That's good then." 

A brief moment of silence as a car passed by. Mortimer finally spoke again. 

"How life has been treating you, Mal?" 

"Not bad. I just finished my time in the rehabilitation center last year." 

"...I'm glad. I'm proud too, I guess," Mortimer nodded.

Mallory sighed, "Mortimer... I am sorry about Collin. I thought he was a good guy. You never told me he left you to get beaten up."

"I have nobody to tell. You were always so busy with your jerk friends and your goddamn drugs I never got to tell you. Who the hell am I going to talk to? Father?"

"Dad loved you more than me," Mallory muttered. "He would listen to you."

"He's a criminal, Mal. I trusted you more," Mortimer responded.

Mallory stared at Mortimer with a hopeful look in his tired eyes, "Do you still trust me?"

"Yes. But I don't trust Don. What if he hurts you more than Collin did to me?"

Mallory paused. He simpered, "I know he wouldn't."

"Suit yourself then," Mortimer muttered. He returned to observe the white lilies silently at the shop.

"...Are you safe, Mortimer?" Mallory asked cautiously. "I heard the cult members are still trying to find you."

Mortimer's face fell grim.

"I have been getting paranoid, to be honest. But the place I found has been peaceful and safe so far," He remarked.

Mallory noticed Mortimer was holding unto his gun holster firmly. 

The older brother sighed heavily, "I can't imagine what father put you through, Mortimer. Even after his death..."

Mortimer glared at Mallory and grunted, "I don't want to talk about this right now. Not in Hecksville."