Personal Jesus

"Agh." Don grunted exasperatedly as he put down Mallory the least gentlest way possible on his hotel bed. He sat down and heaved a relieved sigh. "That was a long walk, plus the stairs." He turned his head to Mallory and asked. "How are you feeling?" 

"Fine. Thank you... Is the elevator usually out of service?" 

"No. It rarely happens. Wait, I'll just freshen up. Have a rest." Don spoke as he stood up. Mallory nodded and shuffled his tired body to bed to sleep. 

Don smiled and pecked Mallory on the forehead. He then goes to the bathroom to change clothes, taking off his silk gloves and suit. He wore his red sleeves and paused at the sink to wash his hands. He glimpsed up and stared at his reflection at the mirror to contemplate his actions. 

He knows he will get in trouble for meddling and killing humans. It's not a part of his duty. He knows that he can't go to work all the time, being aware of Mallory's critical condition. He knew he would never want to leave his side ever again. Mallory became too precious for him. 

He would not lose his love again. Not again. A flashback in his mind made him wince as he accidentally remembered his distant memory. The memory he hated, which was losing his Lucy after leaving her on her own to work. He thought no one would find her in the cabin hidden in the woods.

"I want to go with you. Please." Lucy begged, clutching at Don's sleeves. "It gets so lonely and dull here. I'm tired living in this wooden prison for years." 

"We already talked about this, Love." Don responded as he took his arm away from her grasp. "You stay here. If they saw you, they would send you away from me and kill you." 

"It's not my fault that I was a jew. I can defend myself, okay?" Lucy reasoned.

"Your magic was the other reason why I would never let you out again!" Don replied with vigor.

Lucy narrowed her eyes. "Are you mad?" 

Don rubbed his temples and answered more calmly. "Sorry. Look, I will buy food and the other necessities as fast as I can. You could go... Talk to the forest animals." 

Lucy heaved a heavy sigh and sat down to the nearby chair silently. Her sad eyes briefly looked at the child sculptures on their shelves. Don noticed as he sat down too. 

"I'm sorry, Lucy." Don suddenly said. 

"It's okay, Love. I can just knit the ninety-seventh scarf---"

"It's not that... I'm sorry I can't give you children. So you wouldn't feel as lonely anymore." 

Lucy paused. She caressed Don's hand and assured him. "My love. Don't burden yourself, it's not your fault." She stood up and gave him a kiss on the cheek. 

"You should go now. The sooner, the better. When you get home, I'll be serving you dinner." Lucy added. "See you soon, My dearest." Don simpered and hugged Lucy tightly. "I love you." 

Lucy responded with a sweet and tender grin. "I love you too." Don let go of Lucy and left. 

Hours passed, he came back home with a basket of fruits and bread. He gently opened the door and called. "I'm home!" Don shouted. "You won't believe how much I paid for this fruit." He didn't hear a single reply. His heart and the basket in his hands dropped. "...Lucy, are you playing games with me again? Come out." 

...But nobody came.