three

"If a single person gets caught cheating, the one who copied and the one who gave the answers will have to retake the test." The proctor started. "Now, tell me the truth. Did you two cheat or not?"

"We didn't cheat, sir!" I answered abruptly.

"How about you? Do you agree with her?"

Junhyuk was just staring at the ground. Probably traumatized with what happened. Maybe it's his first time getting called because of cheating. Oh wait, this is my first time, too.

"Yah," I whispered. "Answer him. Tell him that we didn't cheat."

The atmosphere was filled with silence.

"It seems like you two have different perspectives. I'm gonna leave for a moment and you might as well talk about this. This is a serious matter so please be honest. Remember that telling a lie will just make it worse." The proctor said and left.

I sighed and faced him.

"That's right, I tried to cheat. But I felt guilty after that so I didn't copy a single answer from you." I admitted. "And besides, I've already accepted my fate that I'll fail this exam."

"Attempting to cheat is still cheating." He firmly said.

"I know... and I'm sorry." I replied and bit my lip "I heard that you're good at studying so I'm sure you'll do just fine in the retake. But how about me?"

Doing something is a choice. In everything we do, there are always consequences and we have to deal with it. We are free to do and decide whatever we want, but making a bad decision makes us regret things.

I realized that he's right. Attempting to cheat is still cheating. I have to be responsible for my own actions.

I sighed. Sometimes, I want to go back in time and punch myself in the face.

"I'm now giving you two a chance to speak." The proctor said when he came back.

"We attempted to cheat, sir."

I immediately turned to look at Junhyuk who just spoke. I was expecting him to say that, but I didn't know what to feel. Am I supposed to be relieved since this is a chance for me to reflect? Or should I be nervous since we might still have to retake the exam?

"Really? Is that the truth?"

"Yes, sir." I said.

"Attempts at cheating at exams will be dealt with in accordance with the rules. Both of you will have to retake the exam." The proctor said. "Today is Friday and the school is closed during weekdays so you have to take the test on Monday. Still, at seven in the morning."

We both nodded.

"Then it's settled." The proctor concluded. "You should go home now."

We then left the school. But there's me believing that this might go wrong but at the same time, believing that everything's gonna be alright.