eleven

"Hey," Minjae said, waving his hand. "Is there anything wrong?"

I put a smile on my face. I told him that I was just thinking about what to eat this recess because I'm feeling a bit hungry. With that, he let out a laugh and went back to his seat.

To be honest, I was looking at Junhyuk a while ago. He was reading a book. I can't believe he's already studying when it's just the second day of school. We didn't even have a lesson yet. Now I can understand why his grades are high.

My head snapped up to the front of the room when the door opened. The person who entered introduced herself as our Literature teacher.

"I'll be giving you your midterm requirement as early as now so that you could work on it already and you'll have no excuse to ask me to extend the deadline." She started. "Do you want it to be individual?"

"No!" We said in unison.

"Okay, then. It'll be diads." She said, giving in. "You'll be making a position paper. Don't ever think of getting ideas from your classmates because each pair would have different topics."

After that, she gave the course outline and gave a brief introduction of our first lesson.

"As for your requirement, I want someone to be in charge and hand me the list of the names of the pairs so that I could already assign the topics."

"I'll do it, ma'am!" Someone volunteered.

"Very good! Give it to me in the faculty room until 4 pm, alright?" She said. "That's it for today, class. See you tomorrow!"

"Do you have a pair already?" Minjae asked as soon as our teacher left.

"Umm," I glanced uneasily at Junhyuk who was reading while eating a sandwich. "Not yet."

"Do you want to pair with me then? I'll tell Huijun to find a new partner."

"Yah! You shouldn't ditch your pair like that!"

"I'm just kidding! I'll find a partner for you." He said, smiling.

"Thank you, but you don't have to though." I assured him.

"Are you sure about that?"

I nodded.

-

It's the last period for the day and I still don't have a pair.

Should I just ask Junhyuk? I thought.

Nah, maybe he has a partner already. Why would he even pair himself with someone so dumb like me? And if he wanted me to be his partner, then he should've asked me hours ago.

Our teacher dismissed us early today so I proceeded on fixing my things. I decided that I would just be partnered with someone who's left.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Junhyuk standing beside me.

"Let's go?" I said.

We walked quietly, but the silence was a comfortable one.

"I have something to ask." He muttered.

"What is it?"

He looked at me and said, "Do you have a pair in Literature already?"

"W-why?" I stuttered. I didn't really expect him to ask me that.

"Let's be partners."