nine

Doesn't he want to be friends with me because I'm that dumb? Or he's just shy to communicate?

I was dissatisfied when I last talked to Junhyuk. His words seemed like we would never talk to each other again. Well, it's possible if we would be in different schools again. Or if we ever be in the same school, I'm sure that we'll not be classmates since he'll be in the first section. It just bothers me because it feels like he's not interested to be my friend. We were childhood friends back then and we grew apart from each other. But we're still neighbors. I really wanted to regain our lost friendship.

Should I make an attempt?

I brushed the thought out of my mind. Maybe it's right that he doesn't want to be friends with me. I wouldn't even want to force someone to make time for me since a friend is someone who would be there for you when you need them.

"When will they release the list of passers?" My mom asked.

The school posted on their website that they are going to release it on May 5th. I reluctantly looked at the calendar and was stunned because it's already today. And so, I rushed towards my room and checked it on my phone.

"Please let my name be here." I muttered to myself as I scrolled through the list. I saw Junhyuk's name before mine since his surname is Bang. "Jeon... Misu?!?"

My eyes widened when I saw my name. It was unexpected!

"Are you on the list?"

I looked at my mom who's standing at the door and showed it to her.

"Oh my goodness! You passed!" My mom exclaimed, giving me a tight hug. "I'm so proud of you!"

I think this is the best day of my life. In the past years, I was a failure and it was the first time that my mother told me that she's proud of me. I'm really grateful for Junhyuk. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be on the list. If I could just thank him right now... I wonder what school he'll chose to study.

-

It's the first day of school! As I walked towards the school entrance, I observed the expression of the students. Most of them are excited. On the other hand, I felt nervous. School is a fun place to learn, but school... is a hell for me.

Fortunately, I found my classroom in an instant. Some of the students are chatting in their own little groups. I don't even know single one of them. I'm usually the friendly type, but I'll try to talk to them later. I have a bestfriend in middle school though. Her name is Yeri and she went to study overseas. Despite that sent me encouraging words and cheered me up through message.

I was about to bring out my phone. But then, I saw him entering the room.

Unlike me, some of the students looked at him. Maybe because he radiates a nerdy vibe. He looked the same when I last saw him though. He was still wearing glasses, and was a bit unfashionable. He chose to sit on the seat in front of me.

The teacher entered after a few minutes. At this moment, I still can't comprehend what's happening. Are we really classmates? Perhaps, did I went to the wrong room?

"Good morning class! Welcome back to school!" The teacher greeted. We then greeted back. "As you all know, we only accepted 350 first year students. So, I congratulate you all for passing this school's entrance exam!"

"Thank you, ma'am!" We said in unison.

"Ma'am! Are we arranged based on the scores of the exam?" Someone asked.

"No, we picked the students for every section randomly."

And that satisfied my curiosity. It  would make no sense being classmates with him if it's based on the scores.

However, there's still a question in my mind and Junhyuk is the only one who can answer it.