XXI

Dusk fell upon the city.

Aang breathed in the dry air here, pinching his collar between his fingers and lifting with the hope of some much-needed airflow. It was silly. He was an Airbender, he could cool himself down easily if he were permitted.

He scowled, thinking of air benders.

The group that Zuko had been moving along was growing in numbers. Every day, it seemed more airbenders arrived, hoping that they would find safety -- which they would if they could just get through the city.

He'd spent a scant few minutes with Sokka earlier today, explaining the issue, and the sharp-minded Water Tribe boy proclaimed he was on the case. Spirits, Aang hoped by this time of night, they were all settling in at their last location, which even Aang did not know.

There were times he was dreadfully curious, but he trusted Zuko's militaristic planning. It was far better for Aang to be as far away from the knowledge as possible since he was already so interwoven.

Zhao's army was far past its promised trip time. It had been days since any of the men had gotten a proper shower and most of the military kits were starting to smell. While the men here followed Ozai without question, and by extension Zhao, it was clear some were getting uneasy by this prolonged expedition.

Day by day, Zhao was getting closer to frying someone as each day brought them no closer to dead airbenders. Aang, as well as the cast of previous Avatars in his mind, took pleasure in seeing his plans so foiled, but Aang was concerned about his mental well-being. He knew Zhao was not someone who would so easily give up. Something drastic, and most likely horrid, was going to happen soon.

The avatars were mostly silent in his head most days. He was unsure if it was because they were starting to trust him more or if this activity was so against everything they stood for that it was hard to be present for it. Either way, the silence was new. Aang almost wished they were back sometimes, just for someone to talk to.

Aang shook his head, looking at the men scuffling about. Morale was low and Aang felt a pinch of pity for them. Most were sort of bad people or people that had no qualms about killing airbenders, but that didn't mean that Aang thought all of them to be like Zhao.

In particular, the man who had noticed him making Ty Lee a necklace was someone Aang had begun to see as a friend. He was far less violent compared to most of the others, here because he thought it was his duty as a Fire Nationer. While Aang couldn't be sure that he was displeased with the actions they were asked to take, there were times when some of the younger men were discussing how they'd kill airbenders that Aang saw the man's lips turn down and his eyes darken.

His name was Hivri, and he had a wife and two kids back home, not much older than Kuzon, he'd explained. When he wasn't in the military service, he was a woodworker. His favorite things to make were animal carvings, and at night, he'd been showing Aang how to make little whittled creatures from fallen logs with their issued knives. It was incredible how, with just a few quick movements, a log of wood could turn into an ostrich-horse in his hands.

Aang liked to listen to him talk. He had a quiet, even voice. It soothed him when he was at his most anxious, during the nights he was sure Zhao was going to find someone and Aang would be forced to intervene. Aang's only job right now was to keep Zhao away from any areas where Aang thought airbenders might be, to continually send Zhao on a wild goose chase. That alone was enough effort.

Hivri often ate with Aang. He too preferred veggies to meat, and they often made a stew together with things foraged in the forest. The rest of the men ate their jerky and killed animals, and while Aang had eaten meat in the palace before, he still did not fancy the taste.