Make-Believe

Abigail shouldered her bag as she closed the door to her locker. She sighed as she glanced at her watch. "Only one more hour until I can go home," she thought to herself as she started down the hallway. Lost in her thoughts, she startled as a familiar redhead bounced into her vision. "Abs! Guess what?" Sarah asked, her bright green eyes filled with excitement. Abigail smiled and shook her head. "What's up?" "Jason is having a party this weekend, and I overheard Jenna tell Samantha who told her best friend Carly who told Isabelle who told me that he's throwing it so he can ask you out!" She took a deep breath, waiting for Abigail's response. The only thing Abigail was thinking was how Sarah could possibly remember all of that at once. "Sarah," she said, hooking her arm through the redhead's. "You know I have a boyfriend." Sarah rolled her eyes, her look incredulous. "You mean the freshman in college with muscles and tattoos? Josh, is it?" "It's Jack. And yes, that's him." Sarah shook her head. "Sorry to break it to you Abs, but I highly doubt that Jack exists. You're just nervous about Jason asking you out," she said as they arrived at the door to Abigail's next class. "It's perfectly normal to be worried, Abs." Abigail groaned. "Sarah, I promise you, he's real. We've been together for over a year now. He's picking me up today, as well." Sarah just shook her head, gently nudging Abigail into the classroom. "I'll be there to see that," she said, but Abigail could tell she didn't mean it. Abigail walked to her spot in the front of the classroom, slumping down into her seat. Why wouldn't anyone believe her? It wasn't just Sarah, either. The whole school was abuzz with the rumor that Jason, the star quarterback and most eligible bachelor of Meridian High, was planning on asking her out. She sometimes wished that she was back on missions with the Electroclan, with Jack, instead of being stuck in an environment she hadn't become accostumed to. Abigail glanced at her watch. "Only fourty-five more minutes until I get to see him," she thought with a smile. ****The minute the bell rang, Abigail practically flew out of her seat, messily throwing her books into her bag before rushing to her locker. By the time she had caught her breath, she was closing her locker and walking towards the exit. When she reached the entrance, she scanned the parking lot for the familiar sports car to no avail. She sighed and sunk into one of the chairs behind her. "Hey, Abs!" Sarah exclaimed, plopping down next to her. "So.....," Sarah began, dragging out the word. "You ready for Saturday?" Abigail smiled, shaking her head. "How many times do I have to tell you, Sar, I already have a boyfriend." She could see the doubt reflected in Sarah's eyes, but before she had time to dwell on it, Jack's black Maserati pulled into the parking lot, stopping next to the sidewalk. Abigail popped up, throwing a hasty goodbye to Sarah before pushing open the door. "Wait, your bag!" She heard behind her, but she barely heard it as she stepped into the cold winter air. Before she could walk any further, she was stopped by a familiar quarterback. "Abigail," Jason said. "You coming to my party on Saturday?" His million-dollar smile practically glowed as he moved closer towards her. She took a step back, trying to move towards the door. "I'm sorry, Jason. I have a boyfriend." His face fell, and a twinge of guilt reverberated inside of her. But she knew she was doing the right thing. Jason shook his head. "Don't lie to me, Abigail. We all know you don't," he said, repeating the words Sarah had said earlier. "I have to go," Abigail said, pushing past him. By the time she reached the sidewalk, a growing crowd had formed around the car, revealing two figures, one brunette and the other blonde. At least a dozen girls were flirting with the two boys. "It's the car," she thought to herself before making her way towards the brunette. Abigail pushed past a group of girls crowded around Jack, annoyed, before he turned and noticed her. He pushed one of the girl's hands off of his arm. "Abi!" He said, grabbing her in a fierce hug before picking her up and spinning her around. She leaned in and kissed him, melting into his familiar touch. She ignored the gasps from the crowd behind her. "I missed you," she said, her hands tangling in his messy brown hair. He grinned and hugged her tight before letting her down. Abigail turned around to see Sarah behind her, Abigail's bag dangling from her hand, her mouth wide open in shock. Abigail smirked, grabbing the bag from Sarah. "Not so imaginary anymore, huh?" Sarah blushed, looking at the ground. Abigail wrapped her in a hug before turning back towards the car. "Abi!" She heard, immediately spinning towards the voice. "Michael!" She grinned, pulling him into a hug. This time, she could see the envy written on the girl's faces behind Michael. "What are you doing here?" She asked, throwing her bag into the open car door. Jack wrapped his arms around her waist from behind. "We're going on an Electroclan-style date," he said as she grinned. "We're on our way to pick up the rest of the Electroclan now." The Electroclan didn't do double or even triple dates. They did seven-couple dates, which consisted of all of the couples in the Electroclan - Michael and Taylor, Jack and Abigail, Ostin and McKenna, Zeus and Tessa, and Quentin and Tara - and any outside significant others - Ian and his girlfriend Hazel, and Nichelle and her boyfriend Leo. She climbed into the backseat with Jack and looked back just in time to see Jason's slack-jawed face, red with envy as she cuddled into Jack's side. She smiled, looking up into his chocolate-brown eyes. "I love you," she whispered. "I love you, too." He whispered back into her ear. "Now this," she thought, "is true happiness."

Quick Note: This is inspired by another author's one-shot I read a while back.