Chapter 17: Date

*Over phone*

"You dolt, you don't even know what you did.." Shaurya said.

"I just proved myself" I replied.

"Firstly, you pissed the wrong boy. Secondly, my father likes you. Not good..." He said emphasising on the last word.

I wanted to throw him the sassy line that they throw in Hindi.

"Mai kisi k baap se nahi darti... (I don't dread daddys)" I said. "Except mine..." I quickly added.

Shaurya chuckled.

"Umm, he didn't hurt you did he?" I asked.

"No, he was in a pretty jolly mood and thanked me for bringing you over. Also, that girls these days should be more like you..."

"Okay not good. By the way, thank Aunty for delicious cupcakes" I said.

"Hey umm, do you want to do something in the evening?" He asked.

"Oh sure, like what?" I replied sitting up straight trying to hide my excitement.

"Let's take a stroll..." He said. "Oh sure.." I agreed. "6 PM near the crossroads.." He said. I agreed and we hung up.

I jumped on my bed. Super excited. It was a date of course. After that I  couldn't stop looking at the clock. When it was almost time, I simply put on a crop top and shorts, tied my hair in a pony and put on my daily wear shoes.

Me: I am leaving ;-)

I texted him beforehand.

The air somehow felt different to breathe. I couldn't suppress my excitement. I strolled down the lane and turned left. I had reached our spot but Shaurya was nowhere to be seen. So, I sat on a bench for a while.

This was weird, Shaurya was never late. I waited for 15 more minutes, my leg was shaking. I was getting restless. I called Shaurya a number of times but he didn't pick up.

Well, this isn't unusual.

Shaurya can never bail on me.

I called him for one last time and this time somebody picked up.

"Hello?..." I said.

"Hello Aleena.." It was Shaurya's father. My heart throbbed like anything but I decided to stay calm.

"Good evening sir can I speak to Shaurya?" I said as coolly as I can.

"I'm afraid, Shaurya has other important tasks to do.." he said. I felt my temper rising.

"Oh no problem sir but do tell him that I have his computer notebook..." I said. This is a nice excuse. He muttered something and hung up.

"Crap.." I sighed.

"Bad day?" A person sitting beside me said.

"Bad century..." I said and stood up. I had no mood to talk Rohit. This wasn't exactly a good time.

"Whoa. Hey" He got up too.

"No.." I said crossing my arms.

"Listen to me.." He said.

"No.." I said again.

"Hey, at least just listen to me.." He said.

"Sorry I don't talk to stoners..." I said and immediately regretted it. Maybe Rohit really needed help but why would he make Shaurya smoke?

"You know what? I am done here" I said walking past him.

"Oh I believe I have something of yours darling.." He shouted and laughed and that laugh did not sound good to me.

I stopped and turned around raising an eyebrow. He slid through his phone and showed me a picture.

And it was a picture of Shaurya and I kissing. I looked up at him. It was like my brain was struck with a freeze spell. I remember I deleted that picture. It was a perfect lip lock kiss and this should not be seen by anyone. My hands went cold and I stood still.

He smiled and took his phone.

I walked to a corner and he followed.

"Remember when Sonali took your phone to click photos?" He said smiling crookedly. "All this while she'd been taking the backup on her drive with her ID and not yours" He laughed.

My jaw dropped. My heart stopped. The world before me slowed down.  I felt cheated and betrayed. So, this is her revenge?

"Now both of us have something of each other's" He smiled gently touching my cheek. My fists were already rolled into balls.

"I'm sorry but this is insurance"