16. Bela's attack

Bonus note: Years ago, when I first watched Hotel Transylvania 2, I initially thought that Bela was a deep-voiced female who was married to Vlad.

"Dennis, where are you going?" Winnie scampered after him in the forest, on all fours.

"Away!" He cried out.

"But it's not safe out here by yourself!" She insisted. "I know a place where we can hide, follow me!" And so she ran ahead of him.

Back inside, Vlad said to his son: "If you didn't stop me, my great-grandson wouldn't have to be a wimp his whole life - like Schlumpy over here." He gestured to Johnny.

"A wimp?" He repeated.

"Johnny, be cool," Drac held up his hands.

The human lifted his rob and stepped on stage. "You wanna throw down, old man? Certified yellow belt since 1997!" He moved his arms and legs. He took off his wig to reveal his messy red hair.

"No!" Drac called out.

"What's this, now? You're not a vampire?" Vlad leaned in and Johnny was forced back.

"Uh..- Bleh?" He said nervously, raising his hands into a shrug.

"Of course he's human, he's our son," Mike, by his wife Linda, clarified, "you think we're monsters?" The two of them washed off their face paint with their sleeves.

Vlad gasped and pointed at his son with his long, scraggly finger, "You-You let your daughter marry a human and have a human kid? Why don't you just put a stake through my heart?" He cried out, acting the gesture out by pounding his chest.

"We don't hate humans any more, and they don't hate us." Drac admitted, standing up to his dad. The rest of the humans either lifted their masks or cleaned their faces in their arms.

"HUMANS!?" Bela scratched the window outside and screamed aggressively. He growled boisterously.

"You're a fool!" Vlad leaned over to be face to face with his son.

"Your great-grandson is the sweetest, kindest, most special boy I've ever met. And If you can't give him the love he deserves because he's half human, then you're the fool!" The Count spat.

"Oh, daddy!" Mavis hugged his torso. He hugged back and set his chin on her head.

"Hey, where is Dennis?" Johnny realised that the kid was nowhere to be seen. "Dennis!"

Mavis and Drac parted. "Dennis!" She called.

Outside, Bela snarled and flew to the forest, ready to kill.

In Winnie's treehouse, the werewolf set down a tray with a dead critter and a teapot on. "Happy birthday, Dennis. I made you a treat." She sat opposite the sullen boy at the barrel-table.

"Dead... pigeon?"

"Enjoy it!" She chirped. "'Cause when I graduate business school and start running a company, you're not gonna get come-cooked meals like this anymore." She poured air into two silver teacups and handed him one. She sipped from hers.

"I have to move away, Winnie," he dejectedly sighed, she lowered her cup, "to California. My mommy thinks I'm not happy here, cebause I don't have hair on my face like you. I'm sorry I'm not a monster."

She shot across the table and everything was scattered. He was pinned by her on the floor: "No, you are perfect! You're the nicest boy I know!" She stood on his stomach, lightly. "And I have 300 brothers!"