N A T A S H A

What happened between you two?
- Sam Wilson

× × ×

I smirked when I saw that each shot that I took was perfect. Each bullet hit the same spot the former did. It's been a while since I last handled a gun and to know that I still got it brought a sense of comfort.

I've been training since I woke up and I have no idea how long I've been inside the training room. I looked around to see the result of my efforts and I was pleased to see that the equipment were all used and damaged. There was one punching bag that was sent flying to the other side of the room, the sand spilling out. My strength has improved massively during these past couple days, and I use my nightmares as motivation which serve as fuel to keep my fire burning. Archery was a skill I'm trying to perfect as well. With Clint gone, using his weapon and doing something he's made a name of already reminds me of the presence of him. I can understand why he likes this so much now and no matter how woeful it seems to be, it has somewhat become a part of me. Bows were the only companion I've had since it represents Clint so much and each arrow I launched flying straight to my target signifies what capabilities he possesses.

I do truly miss him. There is an ache in my whole being that comes and goes which always returns during quiet moments. I badly want to be close to him once more, to talk and laugh like we used to before, and I long for it every single time I see something that reminds me of him. I know that whatever it is I have with Clint is something good and I intend for it to last. Even though he may be gone, intentionally going missing—his aura still remains in my heart and although it only makes the pain so much worse, I'd rather endure it than forget him and taint his memories.

"It's your birthday today and yet you're all locked up in here."

Steve.

I swiftly turned on my heels and a smile immediately took over my lips. I've been thinking less and less of him because my mind has been clouded by Clint but seeing him now reminded my heart of how much it longs for him. His face was just as handsome as the first day I laid my eyes on him, his eyes sparkling with subtle amusement as his lips turned into a little smile. So much time has passed since I last saw him but the memories I shared with him were never deemed fleeting. I haven't forgotten how he sounds and I can still feel the burning sensation he ignites in me whenever he touches me, and I know no one can ever replace him in my heart.

"I'm turning another year older, Rogers," I said as I wiped my sweat with my towel. "I don't see how I should be amused with anything."

He held the door open as we exited the training room, "So, any plans for today?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. "let's just order pizza and watch movies all night."

"But that's what we do on normal days."

I smirked at his direction as I entered my room, "You're here, Steve. It's definitely not a normal day," I said before shutting the door and heading for my bathroom.

I haven't had any visitors in the compound for the last 3 months. Yes, we've been keeping in touch but no one has really bothered to come by. I thought Steve would be a different case but he ended up being like everyone else. I was hurt and mad at first but then I realized that he's not obliged to me and so am I to him so I have no right to be furious. Even though I'm hurt my family's actions, the door of this home is still open for them. Always.

After dressing up in an olive green sweater, jeans, some black boots, and tying my hair into a braid, I finally went out and looked for Steve. He was looking at the photographs I set on the coffee table, a small smile plastered on his face but a longing expression visible.