S T E V E

❝I can't abandon my family.❞
- Natasha Romanoff

× × ×

"I have something for you," Natasha said as she pushed herself off the wall she was leaning on once she saw me.

There were two stones that had to be returned here in New York. We decided to split up in order to finish the mission faster and more efficiently. Natasha would handle returning the mind stone because she's better at hiding than I am while I'll return the time stone back to the Ancient One, according to Bruce.

I also filled Natasha in with what happened regarding the space stone before. She just smirked at me as she shook her head, commenting about how we boys just can't get a mission right.

I creased my eyebrows as I approached her, "What?"

She smirked at me before she revealed my shield behind her and threw it towards me which I easily caught. I stared at her with wide questioning eyes. "I easily knocked you off."

"That doesn't sound right."

"You're doubting me, Rogers?"

"No, I was just expecting that I would put up more of a fight."

"You did. You see this swollen lip? It's because of you."

"I'm sorry on behalf of my former self."

Natasha rolled her eyes at me, "You thought I was Loki," she said, entertained.

"I thought I was Loki," I shared and she grinned in amusement. "Thank you, for this," I told her sincerely as I showed her the shield on my arm.

She waved me off, "It completes the whole Captain America look-mjolnir, shield, and all," she said dismissively.

"No do-overs?" I asked seriously.

"No do-overs," she replied. "So, 1970 it is?"

I nodded my head as I punched in the proper time and coordinate in both our suits, "1970 it is."

× × ×

"Steve, can you pass me the salt?" Natasha asked me as I watched her move around the kitchen.

She was preparing dinner for the both of us. I insisted to help her but she stubbornly didn't permit me to even though she was injured. She told me, rather confidently may I add, to sit back, relax, and enjoy the view of her.

I told Natasha that we should stay here in New Jersey for a while and let her heal a little. It wasn't an easy task to convince her to stay but she did (thankfully) cave in eventually. And that is how we found ourselves here.

We are currently borrowing a house whose owners just left. From the looks of it, they were going on a vacation because they were putting tons of bags in their car's trunk earlier. I'm just glad they're gone though.

It's a simple house. Nothing too big. It had a small lawn with fences decorating its borders and little flowers along the sidelines. It was cozy-looking though, from the warm palette to the quiet neighborhood atmosphere. It's the kind of house I always imagined myself living in with someone I loved.

I wasn't particularly keen on staying on a hotel this time around since Captain America was still quite the star during this year-and with my shield back, it won't make the job any easier. Hiding won't be an easy task and even though I have gotten used to it, I'm still not a fan.

"I thought you said no help," I teased with a knowing smile.

Natasha turned around abruptly with a mocking expression on her face as she marched towards me and quickly grabbed the salt that was near me.