How long?

Lily's POV

"He what??" I asked in utter shock "Professor, how long have we been dead ?" I added in a whisper. He lifted his head up, met my eye and answered"Twelve years." 

This answer left both me and James utterly shocked. Twelve years! We were dead for twelve years! Harry must be about........thirteen now. 

We've missed so much of his life we'll never see him get his first tooth, nor see him take his first step. We'll never see him get his first Hogwarts letter nor see him off to the Hogwarts Express for the first time.On the happier note we'll be able to see him off for his fourth year.

But will he even accept us as his parents, after we've been gone for twelve years and suddenly came back?

 I looked up at James to ask him, but the look told me he was thinking the same thing."Can we meet him?" James asked Dumbledore. "Yes, but I think there are a few things you should know. I request you both to please not interrupt me.""Okay" we answered in unison. 

"So as we all know on 31st October Voldemort came to Godric's Hollow. He murdered James first, then he went to kill Harry. He told Lily to move aside and that his main target's harry not Lily, as you very well know is because of the prophecy. 

Well Lily obviously refused to give up Harry. When Voldemort moved to kill Harry after killing Lily, he disappeared, not dead but lost all his powers."

We gave him a puzzled look, he nodded and continued. "Because he underestimated the protection of an ancient magic you gave him Lily. Let me finish. Love. Yes Love, he underestimated it so he lost all his powers and all Harry was left was with a scar  "

"The protection was left with him through his blood which he shared with you, and as Voldemort wasn't really gone and I can't keep a tab on Harry all day round. 

The only way was of keeping Harry safe was to keep Lily's protection alive by continuing the blood protection which is only possible as long as Harry called..."

"You did not........" I interrupted him in barely a whisper. How could he do it?

 "He did what?" James asked. I mean how clueless a person can be. "James my only alive blood relative is....." His mouth opened in horror and his eyes were bulging out of the sockets.

 "Please let me finish, I had to send him to the Dursleys so that he is protected."Dumbledore said. "What happened to Pad-um Sirius"James asked.

 "Yes, yes I'm coming to that, and  I'll again request you not to interrupt me, as you have ignored my earlier request "

 This made me blush with embarrassment as I had never ignored a teacher's order let alone request. 

~XOXO~

I know it's early again, but you can hardly complain as it is not late.