Chapter 18

A few weeks had passed since that fateful night, and the weight of it still clung to me, a relentless shadow over my heart. Despite Natalie's best efforts to lift my spirits—her cheerful distractions and heartfelt encouragement—I found myself ensnared in a profound loneliness. It felt as though an impenetrable gloom had settled around me, leaving me yearning for a rewind button, a chance to turn back time and rewrite the script.

The house, once a project filled with purpose and promise, was now complete. I had put the finishing touches on it while Jordon was away, knowing that seeing him would only intensify the emotions I was struggling to manage. The house was no longer just a space; it had become a symbol of everything that had changed. Tonight, Jordon was hosting a welcome party to celebrate his new home, and Symone had made it clear that my presence was not optional. Her insistence left no room for negotiation, though she hadn't specified how long I needed to stay. I had decided that my best course of action was to keep my distance from Jordon, avoiding him as much as possible while navigating the evening's social obligations.

As I prepared for the party, the anticipation of mingling in a room full of people, all while grappling with my own turbulent emotions, felt overwhelming. I tried to focus on the practical aspects of attending: choosing an outfit that was both appropriate and comfortable, and mentally preparing myself for the evening. Yet, no amount of external preparation could fully ease the internal conflict I faced. As the evening approached, I found myself struggling to muster the energy to get out of bed. The weight of the day seemed almost too much to bear, and the thought of preparing for the party felt like an insurmountable task. Yet, with what little resolve I had left, I forced myself to rise and make my way to the closet.

In the dim light of my room, I sifted through my clothes, searching for something suitable to wear. My fingers brushed against a familiar, delicate fabric—an elegant dress that Jordon had bought for the business party we attended together. That night had marked the beginning of our whirlwind relationship, a time filled with both exhilarating highs and painful lows.

I ran my hand along the soft material, feeling the smooth texture beneath my fingertips. The dress seemed to whisper memories of that evening—the laughter, the closeness, and the unspoken promises that had once felt so real. As the emotions washed over me, a single tear slipped down my cheek. I quickly brushed it away, a mixture of sadness and resolve settling in my heart.

With a heavy sigh, I moved the dress to the side, making space for something more appropriate for the night ahead. I knew I couldn't bear to wear it tonight—or any time soon. It was a relic of a past I needed to let go of, a reminder of a chapter that had ended and a relationship that had changed me in ways I was still trying to understand.

As I selected a more neutral outfit, the dress I picked out is crafted from a flowing, high-quality white fabric that drapes gracefully, allowing for a fluid silhouette that flatters my figure without clinging too tightly. The design features a classic A-line cut, which is both timeless and versatile. The dress has a fitted bodice with a gently scooped neckline that adds a touch of elegance without being overly revealing. The sleeves are cap sleeves, providing just enough coverage to feel formal but keeping the overall look relaxed.

A cinched waist, highlighted by a delicate, self-tie sash, adds definition and enhances my shape while offering comfort. The skirt falls to just below the knee, offering a modest yet stylish length that is perfect for mingling at any gathering. For a touch of standout detail, the dress includes subtle embellishments such as a delicate row of fabric-covered buttons running down the back, adding a hint of sophistication without overwhelming the simplicity of the design. The hem of the skirt features a slight scalloped edge, adding a unique and refined detail that catches the eye. I pair it with a pair of silver strappy heels.