Chapter 17

The days blurred into weeks, and as the house neared completion, the atmosphere between Jordon and I grew increasingly strained. The once-familiar excitement of seeing the house come to life had faded, replaced by an undercurrent of tension that neither of us seemed able to dispel. The house, which had once symbolized our shared dreams and aspirations, now seemed to reflect the growing chasm between us. I busied myself with finalizing the design details, making sure that every aspect of the house was perfect, yet the joy I once found in my work had diminished. Each morning,  I found myself dreading the moments when Jordon would show up, our interactions tinged with a distance that I could not ignore. The smiles that once came effortlessly were now strained, the conversations curt and disjointed.

As I sat alone in the kitchen of the nearly finished house, I stared at the walls that had once held so much promise. The space felt hollow now, a mere shell of what it was supposed to be. The sun had set, and the room was bathed in the soft, fading light of the evening. I absently stirred my cup of coffee, my mind racing with thoughts I couldn't quite silence. The signs had been subtle at first—Jordon's late nights, his phone always kept close, his sudden need for privacy. I had brushed them off as stress related to the final push of the house's construction, but my intuition whispered otherwise. As I listened to the house settling around me, a feeling of unease gnawed at me. The breaking point came when I overheard a conversation that I wasn't meant to hear. I had come to the house late, walking quietly through the empty hallways of the house, only to hear snippets of a phone call from Jordon's office. I had only caught a few words—"meet her tonight," "secret," "don't want anyone to find out"—but it was enough to spark a storm of suspicion in my mind.

My heart pounded as I replayed the conversation over and over in her head. The more I thought about it, the more my suspicions grew. Could there really be another woman? The idea twisted inside me like a painful thorn, and the thought of confronting Jordon with my fears filled me with dread. 

Tonight, as I lay in bed, my thoughts racing. The house, once a symbol of our future together, now felt like a prison. My emotions swirled in a storm of hurt, anger, and betrayal. I needed answers, but I wasn't sure I was ready to face the truth. I have a plan though, I'm supposed to stay at his beach house tomorrow night, and tomorrow night is when Ill know for sure. 

The sun's rays streamed through the curtains of my bedroom, casting a warm, golden hue over the room. Yet, despite the gentle light and the promise of a new day, my heart felt like it was wrapped in a shroud of uncertainty and pain. I moved through my morning routine with an almost mechanical precision, each action performed with a sense of purpose but devoid of true enthusiasm.

In the bathroom, I washed my face, trying to erase the remnants of sleep and the lingering sadness from the night before. Staring at my reflection, I tried to steady myself. I had spent the entire night in turmoil, my mind racing with thoughts and doubts. Today, I would finally get the answers I so desperately needed. After dressing in a casual yet stylish outfit—a flowy white blouse and denim shorts with my favorite pair of sandals—I packed a small bag with essentials for my stay at Jordon's beach house. The plan was to stay there for the night, but the real reason I was going was to uncover the truth I feared might be hiding behind closed doors.

By mid-morning, I arrived at the beach house. The ocean breeze greeted me as I approached the grand structure, the sound of waves crashing rhythmically against the shore. Jordon was already waiting for me at the entrance, a warm smile on his face as he greeted me with a hug.

"Hey, Alexus," he said, his voice bright and casual. "I'm glad you could make it. Ready for a day at the beach?"

I forced a smile, trying to push away the turmoil inside. "Absolutely. Let's make the most of it."