Chapter 12

The morning light filtered gently through the curtains, casting a soft glow on the room.  There's nothing like the comforting presence of Jordon still asleep beside me. The events of the last night felt like a distant memory, replaced by the warm, steady rhythm of Jordon's breathing.

I slip out of bed quietly, careful not to disturb him, and headed to the kitchen. I make a pot of coffee, the rich aroma filling the air and helping me clear my thoughts. As I prepare breakfast, my mind replayed the conversations Jordon and I had last night, the fears I had voiced, and the reassurance Jordon had given me.

In the early morning stillness, Jordon appeared in the doorway, his hair tousled and a sleepy smile on his face. "Morning," he murmured, his voice husky with sleep.

"Morning," I reply, offering him a warm smile. "Coffee's ready, and I made us some breakfast."

"Don't you have to work today?" he asked as he joined me at the kitchen counter.

"Technically, yes." I say, "But I text Carmen this morning and told her that I was violently ill and couldn't make it in today. To which she responded "EW"."

"Sounds like a Carmen response. Why did you call out?"

"I thought that after last night, today we could spend some time together. Go out and do something?"

His eyes light up with a mix of surprise and delight. "You know, that sounds fantastic," he says, leaning against the counter and taking a sip of his coffee. "I was hoping we'd get a chance to hang out and maybe just relax. What did you have in mind for today?"

I walk around the kitchen and think. "I've been so caught up in work that I haven't really had a chance to just enjoy the moment with you. So, I'm definitely on board for whatever you have in mind." He sets his coffee mug down and grabs a piece of toast, his gaze warm and appreciative. "How about we start with something low-key? Maybe a stroll in the park or a visit to that new art exhibit downtown? I've heard good things about it and thought it might be fun."

He gave me a teasing smile, clearly excited about the day ahead. "Or, if you're up for it, we could do something completely spontaneous. I'm open to anything as long as it means spending time with you."

"I'm down for spontaneous."

His eyes sparkled with a mischievous glint as he finished his toast, leaving just a few crumbs on the counter. "Alright, spontaneous it is. Let's make today unforgettable."

We finished breakfast together, exchanging playful banter and savoring the morning's calm. The air was filled with laughter and easy conversation, a welcome change from the tension of the previous night. Once we'd cleared the dishes and tidied up, we retreated to my room to get ready. I pulled on a pair of light, comfortable jeans and a breezy blouse, perfect for a day of adventure. I opted for sneakers—practical but cute—and threw on a light jacket in case the weather turned chilly. I admired my reflection in the mirror, feeling a flutter of excitement about the day ahead. Jordon put on a pair of relaxed chinos and a crisp white shirt. "Looking good," he said with a grin, his eyes roving appreciatively over my outfit. "Ready to see where the day takes us?"

I laughed, grabbing my small crossbody bag and sliding it over my shoulder. "Absolutely. Let's make today a day to remember."

We stepped out into the crisp morning air, and Jordon led the way to his car, which was parked just outside. As he opened the passenger door for me, I could see his enthusiasm radiating. The car ride was filled with music and easy conversation, with Jordon steering us towards a destination that he had kept a secret. The drive took us through winding streets and past vibrant neighborhoods. We eventually arrived at a quaint little town on the outskirts of the city, where the buildings had a charming, old-world feel. The streets were lined with cozy cafés, quirky boutiques, and art galleries. It felt like a place where time slowed down, and the pace of life was more relaxed.