Chapter 20

You want vengeance more than anything. Perhaps you cared for the villagers once, but those feelings were destroyed the second they let one of their own hurt you. Oh yes. This is going to be satisfying.

     You let your fury stoke the flames in your hands, your mouth twisted as you study the village. How could anyone be so heartless? When you feel the spectral heat against your fingers, you clap your hands together and the flames extinguish like candles in a wind. Nineteen thatch roofs burst into flames. You begin chanting as the people notice their village is burning and scurry for water. The flames pulse to your voice, and as water is thrown on the growing blaze, they burn hotter until even you can feel the waves of heat on your face.

     It feels like when your home was burning. For a moment you feel a painful burst of empathy, but you harden your heart. They deserved this.

     You watch impassively as the village burns to the ground. As three people stumble away, clinging to each other for support. As another joins them, bent double, holding something small and blackened.

     You turn your back on the village and return to the forest.

     This isn't the end.

     As you walk, a sound begins to build at the edge of perception. A rolling, growing thunder with a regularity rarely heard in nature.

     You stop.

     Between the tree branches overhead, the sky is the colour of spilled blood.

Run. (Go to Chapter 44)

Arm yourself (Go to Chapter 45)

Return to the village (Go to Chapter 46)