Chapter 8

You drop to your knees and place your hands upon the ground. Your heart pounds. You've only tried this spell once for practice. On a rock. Not a hut. This might go very badly, but it's the only thing you can think of.

     You begin chanting, slower than usual. A ripple moves away from you, waves under the smouldering grass. You can feel the strain in your neck like a wire stretched taut.

     You hope it won't snap.

     You roll your shoulders, and another shockwave moves away from you. You grin, sweat beading on your forehead. It's time. Keeping one hand on the ground, you wrench the other towards your chest. The ground around your hut responds, becoming like water and devouring the building up to the windows. The fire is pulsing all around you, but you focus, and make a fist. The earth around your hut rises like a great flower. Slowly, the flower closes, dragging the building into the earth. Where your hut stood is a scorched circle of earth.

     You collapse, panting.

     After some time, you manage to catch your breath and rise to one knee. Only then do tears gather in your eyes, and you sob for your destroyed home.

     You need to know how this happened. Was it your fault?

     You stagger to your feet and feel a pulse of pain go through your chest. At first you dismiss it as strain from sinking an entire fucking hut, but then you realize—and your face goes cold. Your amulet was in the hut. Every witch's link to magic, without which you're powerless. But your link feels stronger if anything and there isn't a portal to the underworld here, so... either the box is still intact down there, or someone took it. Which means someone could've burned your home and stolen your amulet.

     You need to know for sure and figure out what to do. Anything to distract you from the ruins of your forest life. Yes, you can build another hut, but fifteen years of building and living and making ever cozier... it hurts.

How will you proceed?

Question the oaks (Go to Chapter 23)

Find out if amulet was stolen (Go to Chapter 24)

Blame yourself (Go toChapter 25)