Chapter 10

Dusk wriggled and unfurled him wings against the guards, lashing his tail violently as he attempted to break free. A large door opened before him into a bright room with bubbling chemicals and a mottled assortment of dragons bustling about. There were a few other captives that he could see, they were being kept in large glass domes... just laying there. The guards opened a small portion of the floor and dumped him in, closing the door above him. The room wasn't very dark, but his eyes hadn't adjusted to the light. A small tail brushed against his leg, saying, "Stay calm, I'm in here too"

Dusk flinched away into darkness as a long slender head raised itself into the light. Her eyes were a light lavender, and the tips of her ears and her neck ruffles were purple. The rest of her body was grey and white, and she had large grey circles on the ridges of her eyes. A Rainwing... but with such a small amount of color? Dusk thought as he scanned her.

"My name is Lavender, yours?" Her gentle eyes blinked as her soft tone washed over him. She was about as old as he was.

"I'm Dusk. As you can see, I'm new here" He responded as he blinked, letting his eyes adjust to the darkness as he activated night vision. 

"What are you doing down here?" He asked Lavender.

"I kind of lived here my whole life... I'm an experiment." She shook her head slightly as her tail curled around a branch. "I was designed to be a new super species with extraordinary powers... but that includes the ability to kill without hesitation..."

Dusk curled away slightly, "So I guess you're going to kill me?"

"Of course not! I haven't talked to anyone in so long... and you're my age too, so we can help each other!" Lavender leaned closer to him and whispered, "Maybe we could escape!"

Dusk tilted his head, "What do you mean"

"I mean, that we could get out of here!" Her voice was less soft now, more energetic. "I've been stuck here for a kinda long time." Lavender shifted.

The wall behind him shifted and Dusk quickly got up. Light poured into the room as a few dragons in strange armor walked in. Lavender hissed and curled up, her expression fearful. Dusk backed up next to her. The dragons held large prongs and they poked Dusk lightly with them, attempting to get him to move. Lavender gestured forward and whispered, "Don't show them anything."

Dusk nodded and walked forward into the room as the door lowered behind him. He was chained down to a wall by his neck. The scientists propped up his wings and spread them out as far as they would go and pinning them back. Combustion carefully walked into the room, holding a small vial and a syringe.

"You put on an amazing show at the arena!" Combustion chatted idly as he gathered supplies.

"I'm assuming that's why I'm here?" Dusk retorted, flicking his tail.

"Not exactly. It is very, very illegal to show your ability to change fire colors as a blackfeather!" Combustion nodded as he gestured at Dusk's mouth, still digging through supplies. He put his gloves on.

"Why is it illegal?" Dusk asked as he twitched his wings. 

"Blackfeather is such a rare power, that it isn't a surprise that the queen doesn't want anyone else to have it. It also keeps the townsfolk safe from the power, ever since the massacre of Flameplace." Combustion put his gloves on and brought out a small knife. 

"But why am I here?" Dusk strained his neck to look closer at the weapon. 

"It is my job to make super dragons, and such a "unique" power from an Eclipsewing is something I must test. As well as the fact you changed the color of your irises during the fight, perhaps as a defense mechanism?" Combustion brought up a table, "As well as the fact i am completely fascinated that the Queen successfully captured a "SolarEclipsewing", and I have new tests and potions to experiment with. Lavender doesn't seem to like them."

Combustion opened Dusk's jaws wide and stuck a few metal sticks into his mouth to keep it open. Dusk hissed slightly, moving his forked tongue to try and get them away. Combustion held a light up close to his throat, examining the small "flame glands". 

"Breathe some fire for me, and change the color too." Combustion instructed as he moved out of the way slightly.

Dusk breathed flames, turning his head to blast Combustion in the face.