Chapter 12

Dusk walked into the science lab with no issue. Scientists bumbled around him, struggling to get out of his way. He opened the his cell, ducking his head in,

"Lavender? You there?"

Lavender curled out of the darkness, her head seeming to hover in the inky black shadows. She looked up,

"Dusk? I thought they killed you!" She shot out of the shadows and the cell. 

"What happened to me?" He asked as she stretched her small wings and slender limbs.

"You've been gone for days, weeks even! I thought you were dead." She adjusted her eyes to the light.   

"Weeks?" He stared off into the distance quietly. "But... but how?"

Lavender shook her head lightly.

"It doesn't matter anyways. We are leaving, and we are taking everyone else with us. Do you know anyone here?" He looked around and grabbed a scientist,

"You there. Is there anyone else here?" He asked the quivering scientist

"N-no sir." The scientist wriggled free and skittered off.

"I haven't heard anyone call me sir before. Am i taller or something?" He tilted his head at Lavender.

"Yeah. That red dust they used on your horn size and height." Lavender curled her tail lightly and looked around.

"Okay, so the plan is to save all of the prisoners on the ship and kill the pirates." He nodded to her as they flew off. 

"I've heard of the pirates before. They basically control the entire city, seeing as they were influencing the Queen..." Lavender examined the sky, "By the way, what happened to the Queen?" 

Dusk lowered his gaze slightly, and showed her his bloodstained claws. She nudged him reassuringly.

They cut through the night sky, flying over sea and land, before they spotted the ship beginning to dock. They hovered quietly as the pirates left the ship. Dusk looked at Lavender, only to find she was gone. 

"Lavender?" He called out softly. The sky rippled above him.

"Right here." It called, and a purple eye made itself visible.

"You distract them, I'll free the prisoners." Lavender camouflaged herself again and flew down. Dusk followed.

He barreled into the ground in front of the pirates, grinning widely. He launched himself at the captain, thrashing his body and tail. The crew stabbed at him with their swords, but he continued to attack the leader. He ripped the captains throat and stomach open, and launched himself onto another pirate. The crowd of pirates dispersed, seeing their captain on the ground. Dusk collapsed in a heap, bleeding and fatigued. He heard another crowd gather around him, and in his barely conscious state, he could feel himself being lifted up.

When Dusk woke up he was back on the ship, only this time it was controlled by other dragons. He noticed the heavily scarred Sandwing guiding the ship, helping the others row and move. Lavender would occasionally sit beside a dragon and help them row, and often times the ship as a whole would take a break. Bandages were wrapped around his body, and he winced as he struggled to get a clear view of things. A Nightwing gently pushed him back down, "Rest easy, friend. You took quite a few blows. We are heading towards Ember City." 

Dusk winced and sat back down, sleeping again.

Lavender shook him awake, hugging him tight, "We're here! We're home!" 

Dusk struggled up as he noticed a flash of golden light shoot down on the boat. Citrine hugged him tight, "Dusk! Where have you been!" She sobbed.

Dusk hugged her back, tears streaming down his face. Dragons loaded off of the boat, heading off to find their homes again. Dusk hugged his sister tighter, and got up. 

"This is Lavender. She is going to stay with us for now, okay?" He noticed his dad standing behind his sister and pointed to Lavender.

"Fine. I was so worried about you, why did you run off like th-" Comet began to yell at him but suddenly stopped

"Cmon dad! Hes obviously hurt, stop giving him a hard time!" Citrine released her spell on Comet. Dusk ran off the boat, speeding to his house, yelling, "RACE YA GUYS!"

Citrine ran up behind him, "Hey no fair!" Before running as fast as she could. Lavender followed close behind. 

They tumbled into the house, laughing and yelling like kids again.

This was it. Dusk was finally home.