Chapter 11

Combustion yelped and ducked as the fire flew towards him, the fire turned black as it hit his face. Combustion grabbed the stick from Dusk's mouth and yanked them out, throwing them aside and putting a muzzle on him. 

"Incredible! The heat even changes!" Combustion wrote down his notes. He picked up his syringe and exclaimed, "Hold still! I need a blood sample."

Dusk wriggled in pain as the syringe inserted into his neck. Combustion pulled the blood out and deposited it into the vial, setting it aside. He held up a claw and lightly poked the place where the syringe had been inserted. He mumbled something and went back to his notes. 

"Now the really fun part begins! Lets see how you react to certain things." Combustion held a large chain and attached it to Dusk's neck, removing him from the wall and walking to a hallway. A few other scientists nodded at him as they collected to their jobs. 

They entered a large room with a glass dome in the middle. Dragons hurried back and forth, holding vials and getting to their positions. Dusk was brought into the dome and chained to the floor. The glass door closed before him as Combustion walked out to grab something. Dusk rammed into the dome, hoping to break the glass. It vibrated painfully. Combustion nodded to a few scientists and they pushed buttons. Dusk snarled again and wrenched his neck as a red dust began to fill the room. His vision went red, and in his anger he was like a bucking bull. He smashed his horns against the glass panes, lashing his thick tail and the rippling spikes on his neck. 

When the haze finally lifted, he was in the arena, standing over the dead body of a mutilated dragon. He stumbled back, away from the corpse, looking around wildly. He realized all of his spikes were a lot bigger, and sharper too. Scales rippled along his back as he swayed his head to look around. The strange part was, he didn't even feel bad about killing the dragon. In fact, he didn't feel anything. He shook his head, the new crown of horns on his face swaying with him. He watched a few guards close in on him, but he decided to go easily, lashing his tail as he attempted to keep his head up from the new weight. He looked around him and flexed his wings. They weren't bound anymore.

He shot up into the sky, lashing his tail furiously as he smashed through the palace's windowpanes. A crowd of startled dragons looked up as he shot directly towards the queen, crashing into her like a bullet and pinning her on the ground. She hissed,

"GUARDS! GET HIM!" 

Dusk twisted his neck and fiercely blew fire into the wooden boards, setting the palace alight. He turned back towards the Queen with a snarl,

"YOU! YOU DID THIS TO ME!" He slashed at her face as she cowered

"YOU TRAPPED PEOPLE HERE FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT, BUT NO LONGER!" He howled as he dug his fangs right into the Queen's throat, ripping and tugging as scales fought back. He snapped his jaws shut as warm blood filled his jaws. The crowd looked at him quietly before fleeing the scene. He flung the Queens body aside into a fire, and flew out of a window, shouting to the coliseum filled with panicking dragons, "You're pathetic excuse for a Queen is dead." 

The dragons looked up at him. They stared right at his grey eyes and fearsome horns and teeth. The announcer went up to him,

"You killed the queen?"

"Yes. And if you don't get out of my way you're next." He snarled back at him and lashed his tail.

"This isn't over yet. Our "Queen" was controlled by those pirates you came with. Kill them, and then your mission is complete." The announcer studied his bloodstained features quietly before flying off.

Dusk tilted his head, confused slightly, but then he saw Combustion aiming a dart thrower at him. Dusk flew down as fast as he could, fighting the wind. He barreled right into Combustion, holding his neck down as he wriggled and thrashed, attempting to get free. Dusk snapped his jaws around as Combustion attempted to flip him and stab him with a syringe. He rammed into Combustion using his giant horns, tearing flesh and skin as the sharp appendages dug into him. Finally, in one fell swoop, he slashed Combustion's throat.

Dusk panted heavily, and looked at the mutilated body of Combustion. Was this a bad dream or a good one? Was this even reality. It seemed so easy, and just a little mistake caused him to get free and slash and tear and burn. Dusk knew it wasn't over.