Walter

I smiled wryly, watching Paige talk with Drew on the other end of the garage.

"Listen to them," I muttered to Toby as I brushed past him.

Long used to my weirdness when it came to Drew, he raised one eyebrow and smirked before nodding slightly.

Just before I slammed out the door, I saw Happy give Toby a little fleeting glance. Hmm.

Going around back to where I kept my little relaxing area, I glanced around, knowing Cabe was coming soon and not wanting to be surprised when he showed up. Seeing nothing, I pushed past the curtain-all but invisible against the brick wall-and entered my space.

After fumbling for the light switch, I found the punching bag in the back of the room and took a deep breath. Then I pummeled the damn thing with everything I had.

"Stupid-asshole-coming back-right when-almost ready-what-the-hell-did-Paige-see-in-the-jerk," I grunted between punches.

I paused.

Did?

Did I say did?

I ran my mind back. Having an eidetic memory does have its perks.

Did....the use of the past tense implies either wishful thinking, or my subconscious picked up some indication she no longer has romantic feelings for him.

I couldn't think of anything, but my subconscious did have a bad habit of discarding information-even information that could prove crucial in the future.

Not for the first time, I wondered why I even cared. The peculiar nature of my feelings for Paige. . .dancing with her at the ball was nice. Enchanting, more like, but seizing the initiative and endangering the mission for 90 extra seconds - not 30, like that idiot shrink got wrong - was not like me.

She brought out a side in me I didn't recognize, and it was obviously endangering the team. Logic told me to fire her - she didn't do much, really, but distract me and help Toby and Happy with whatever was going on with them.

But emotions, ah, the fickle things, protested.
I'd been leaning against the wall next to my punching bag for nearly 10 minutes deliberating when I heard a car leave, and finally relaxed.

Drew was gone, and he'd left Ralph behind. Finally. He would be at school now, but I missed the little guy, and Drew certainly didn't realize his true potential.