Chapter 9

"Come on!" Zachary whispered more urgently. I got to my feet and approached him.

"How did you get out?" I asked quietly.

"Dr. Jackson hurried me back to my cage and didn't lock my door. Now come on, we don't have much time."

Something still seemed off.

"Where did you get the keys?" I asked.

"I found them," he said impatiently. I looked at him cautiously.

"Look, why does it matter how I got out? This could be our only chance to escape and you're wasting it chatting." he whispered. I shook my head. He was right.

I followed him down the hall. It showed how long he had been here; he knew his way around the impossible maze of this place. I bumped into him when he came to a sudden stop.

"Listen Bell, we have to blend in where we are about to go. we are going to walk through sector A. Our quarters are in sector B, a much smaller compound. Everyone else lives in the regular quarters." Zachary said quickly. I could hear voices from around the corner.

"Regular quarters?" I asked. Zachary sighed.

"Just try not to look like it's the first time you're seeing this room." he said.

We turned the corner and seemed to walk into a cafeteria. My stomach growled painfully. There were around 350 people of all ages scattered throughout. not much conversation. the air hung heavy with depression. every once in a while I would see a flash of a grey-gold uniform; guards.  They had little trays of food. I looked at woman near by. she was looking at her tray of mushy food with disgust. promptly she pushed it away. I started.

"Don't even think about it." Zachary said, reading my mind. I looked at him and pleaded with my eyes. I said nothing though, knowing he was right. we were wasting time. we needed to escape. we walked through the cafeteria, eyes downcast. finally we made it to the other side. we walked out the door.

Walking down the hallway. Zachary was confident with all of his turns.

"Have you been here before?" I asked. Zachary didn't answer me.

"Zachary?" I asked.

"Shhhh" he hissed. no sooner had he shushed me, then a guard appeared around the corner.

"You two!" He said gruffly. I stiffened.

"Number?" He asked when he had reached us.

I was silent. so was Zachary. suddenly Zachary swung his fist around and it slammed into the guards head. he fell over unconscious. I backed away from Zachary.

"What are you," I whispered. he look a step towards me.

"Listen there is no time to explain... they... they did something to me." He said. Suddenly Zachary's eyes furrowed and he looked like he was struggling with something.

"Zachary?" I said cautiously. he looked at my, his eyes bulging. suddenly he clutched my arm roughly.

"Bell," he gasped. I looked around.

"Bell!" He said louder.

"Yes! What! What is it?" I said frantically, trying to pry his fingers off my arm. He looked at me, trying to communicate with his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I whispered. now I was scared, it looked like he was holding his breath.

"Run" he whispered so quietly that I could barely here him. I looked at him, horrified. Suddenly his eyes drifted out of focus for a moment then focused back on my face. he straightened up.

"Come on, let's get out of here." he said. he still hadn't let go of my arm.

"Zachary let go of me." I said quietly. he looked at me, exasperated.

"You're going to slow, we're going to get caught" he said. he didn't let go.

"Zachary let go of my arm." I said a little louder, examining his face. there was definitely something wrong with him. his expression darkened.

"No." He said. and with that, he pulled me right into his arms and slapped his hand over my mouth. I tried to scream but it was muffled by his hand.

He moved swiftly through the compound despite my struggles. Granted, my struggles were half-hearted. something was off about Zachary for sure, but he WAS getting me out of this place.

Finally, after turn after turn and turn, we reached a door with a keypad. Zachary punched in some digits with one hand and I stopped struggling. Before he typed the final number in he turned his head towards my ear.

"When I type in this last number, Sir Liken will be alerted. we will have to move fast. don't struggle." He didn't have to tell me twice; nothing could be worse than sir Liken. he punched in the last alarm then started running, holding my hand.
I ran with him.

We were now in a courtyard of sorts. not one I had seen before. it was a lot nicer than any that I had seen. even the large brass gate looked fancier. we were almost to the gate when we were joined.

Joined by Bryce.

I DONT HAVE MANY READERS ON THIS STORY, SO THIS IS GOING TO GO TO ANYONE READING ANY OF MY STORIES.
THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO ForsakenStar FOR BEING A GOOD FAN AND AN OUTSTANDING AUTHOR. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I WONT UPDATE UNTIL SHE DOES, SO IF YOU WANT ME TO UPDATE MY STORIES, GO READ HER STORY "PRISONER OF WAR". VOTE, COMMENT, AND ONCE SHE UPDATED THEN I WILL UPDATE ALL THREE OF MY STORIES.

MUCH LOVE

VOTE!!!! :-)