Prologue

In a planet outside earth's observable universe there is a planet filled with life and creatures of all kinds and shapes. In this planet most physics and natural laws are like earth's but evolution has taken a much different course to the point where there are many different species of sentient creatures. One of these races was the Zeph.

The Zeph had a small stature when compared to humans, snow white skin, big black eyes with white pupils, they had 4 fingers and 2 toes with very sharp and pointy tips and a long tail which decreased in thickness along its size. Each zeph would also have a horn, which varied in shapes, sizes, branches and sometimes even location, giving each zeph a unique trait. Like humans, they have a tradition much like marriage but on a biological factor. In a very celebrated occasion, two of these species would enter a giant flower found in their environment which would encase the couple in a pod,they would then stay inside for an amount of time and after said time both would emerge with no physical discerning except for a mark on the back of each zeph's right hand. This mark was also unique, having many different designs for each couple. Their shapes held no apparent meaning and all looked somewhat tribal. What had meaning instead was the blue colored glow this mark emitted, representing the new bond each zeph had just gained.

This bond was special because it allowed the bonded zeph to sense their partner's feelings. They could sense their partner was having a nightmare or sense they were happy like looking at a dog wagging his tail. Unlike human marriage though, this bond could not be undone and would last forever until one of the bonded perished, in which case the other individual would sense their partner's death, making for what most said to be the worst than death itself. The mark would then lose its glow, turning into a deep black color permanently etched on their skin. Those who had the black mark couldn't bond again as most didn't want to let go of the once had bond and those who tried failed. The zeph were an extremely emphatic race despite being naturally strong, full of vitality, strength and stamina. All individuals would pity those with black marks and act kind towards them for they knew what it meant.

In a much rarer case, two zeph, upon finishing the bonding process, could be branded with a mark without a glow and black by nature. This case would happen only a few times every century or so, making it a very strange phenomenon for no one knew exactly why it happened, which didn't stop many from speculating its reasons. Among the most common one's was the rumor that the couple didn't have real feelings for each other or didn't have feelings that were strong enough. Some speculated it was related to luck, some to time and there were even those who claimed both zeph were dead with both having their marks blackened. The exact reason or what those who went through it did, stayed unknown for a long time.

This is the story of two zeph who definitely had a strong bond but failed at gaining the new one by performing the bonding process. Both with black marks on their hands and unsure what to do next. Their names were Ven and Leif, and for good or for worse their story would be known to all the zeph who came after them.