Chapter 7 - Losing forever

The girl now stood up after being comforted by Ven for a moment, taller than Ven if not taking his horn into account. Whom in turn directed his attention to the reapers to ask them where to find the Zenno.

"We wish we knew."

"Yes, for you, not to take their dead."

"Of course not to take their dead! I assume they'd kill us before we could."

"Not that that we would."

"What are you even suggesting Zeph?!"

The girl approached them calmly yet when she stood near them, Poppy and Ruppy hugged each other in fear. She had an indifferent look on her face, like her eyes had lost once had color. She had her bow in one hand and quiver full of arrows on her back.

"I know where to find some."

"You do?"

Ven replied in awe, not expecting her to say much after all that transpired."

"Yes, some live in a cave just across the river not far from here."

"Oh, that's... unexpectedly nice for a change."

"Of course crossing the river.."

"Of course..." Ven interrupted her with a defeated expression on his face and a loose posture on his body.

He looked at the ground and realized how tired he felt, he had been walking for days without pretty much no rest or sleep. Not long after these thoughts crossed his mind he remembered why he was there as his mind flooded with images of Leif. He shook his head, lifted it up and slapped his cheeks with his hands. Still tired but filled with determination.

"All right. Poppy, Ruppy, thank you for the help, the way you touched my body will haunt me forever."

"No problem, zeph!"

"Always at your service!"

Replied Ruppy and Poppy feeling proud of their questionable accomplishments and taking the almost insult as a great compliment of their precision in examination. Ven turned his head to the girl to say goodbye.

"And uh..."

"Mora."

"Mora... I hope you... I know people who were able to keep on living and be happy after losing someone. It's the thing I'm scared most.

They told me it takes a while to get used to it... so if you need someone to talk..."

Mora's made a slight smile towards Ven, the muscles on her face even felt relieved from strain. Ven continued.

"You know where to find Poppy and Ruppy!"

"Huh?" Said all three of them at the same time.

"What? Did I say something bad?"

Mora laughed out loud as Poppy and Ruppy looked at her in fear. Mora ever teared up a bit from the laugh. She cleaned her eyes with the back of her free hand.

"Are all zeph like you?"

"Well... I don't think so. All of our horns look different in some way."

Mora almost laughed again at Ven's obliviousness.

"Common, I'll help you find the Zenno. They can be very aggressive when you get close, not to mention this forest and the river."

"Really? Will you do that for me? Shouldn't you be looking for your brother's..."

"It's okay. There's nothing with the same value to me as my brother, no matter what I do I can't bring him back. I lost him forever..."

Her expression turned into sadness again for a moment, Ven tried to find something to say but luckily before he did she continued.

"And thanks to you I realized I can't blame others for my mistakes. Even if they're dirty little grave robbers..."

Poppy and Ruppy shrivelled at her words and at the gaze of disgust she made at them.

"... At least they're well intentioned."

"Thank you, Mora. I really could use some help. I had to run and hide from a few animals on my way here. I bet they'll run just by looking at you."

"Hum.. Thanks?!"

"Because you're tall and have a bow."

"Oh. Right."

"And you're a little scary too, but only on the outside."

Mora stood speechless, uncertain of what to feel about Ven's commentaries.

"I've never seen someone like you before, how's your race called?"

"I don't think we've ever came up with a name."

"But what do people call you?"

"They call me Mora. But that's a good question."

"Fruit people."

Ruppy said suddenly. Mora and Ven looked at him and Poppy in confusion.

"Because they live mostly in the forest and forests have trees which in turn... have fruits."

Poppy said, a little scared. After a brief silence and the sound of wind blowing through the clearing, Mora spoke.

"I'll stick with Mora."

"Mora's good!"

Added Ven with a smile, looking up at her eyes.