Chapter 15 - Bad side of the coin we had

Many days had passed, Leif couldn't tell while he again sat on the cliff on the shore this time not apathetic like before. Now he only felt grief and guilt. He blamed himself from driving Ven away with his behaviour. Ven's image wouldn't leave his head as he tried to focus on the good memories he had of Ven. Elder Bran looked at Leif's suffering from afar but this time he knew exactly how he felt for he felt it once and knew only time could heal this wound. He then left for his home with a saddened expression.

Some commotion was heard coming from the village, enough to attract Leif's attention who saw a zeph running towards him. The zeph reached Leif gasping for air and could only mutter a few words.

"It's him."

Leif knew who it was but he couldn't believe it. He runned to see with his own eyes. Upon reaching the village he pushed through other curious zeph in his way only to see Ven alongside a tall teal green creature and elder Bran who all shifted their attention to Leif as he intruded the crowd. He moved towards Ven slowly, who looked confused. Leif stood in front of him with tears in his eyes and complete disbelief. Ven spoke.

"Hi..."

After hearing his voice Leif couldn't help himself but to quickly hug Ven as tight as he could with his eyes closed and tears flowing through his eyes. Mora looked at them with worry, she knew who the zeph who just hugged Ven was. Ven after hesitating for a moment hugged Leif back. They held each other for a while until Leif broke the hugs but held Ven's both arms lightly and spoke while still crying.

"I thought you were gone."

"Apparently I was for a while..."

"I'm glad you're back."

Leif said with a huge smile on his face and the tears stopped flowing from his eyes but was still visible. Ven spoke after.

"What's your name?"

"What?"

"I asked what your name was."

Leif's smile turned into an expression of surprise. He took his arms away from Ven and put them close to his own chest. With a low voice and a confused tone he asked once again.

"What...?"

"Leif... Ven lost his memory and his friend was kind enough to bring him home to us..."

Leif looked at Ven still in disbelief. He looked at his right hand to see his mark had also vanished. He didn't knew what to say, think or do, he was in complete shock. It was painful for Mora and the elder to watch, Ven just looked confused. Mora spoke.

"Leif, can I talk to you over there?"

Leif was spooked by Mora quickly looking at her but waiting a few seconds to respond by slightly shaking his head up and down while still in shock. Mora walked far from the crowd and Leif followed, Ven stayed behind being entertained by other zeph while some looked at Leif with worry. Upon being far enough, Mora reluctantly began to talk.

"Ven... Ven loved you very much... He wanted you to move on and be happy... without him."

"What? Why? What happened to him?"

"He chose to lose his memory... to undo your marks."

Leif once again fell into his knees. He couldn't make out which pain was worse, the one back when he felt Ven dying or the one he felt now where he was dead to Ven.