Chapter 6 - Finding never

Many zeph stood from afar watching Leif sitting emotionless on the cliff. Every attempt to help him proved in vain, he would not answer, eat or drink. He would just stare into the void. Elder Bran was the latest one to approach him. The elder exhumed kindness and approached Leif with grace. He stood besides him for a while before hitting his head with a stick with all his strength.

"SNAP OUT OF IT! Are you trying to kill yourself?!"

Leif screamed in pain while holding his head where he was hit and tearing up.

"What's wrong with you old man?! I could've fallen off the cliff! You can't just hit someone like that!"

"Ah, so you do want to live. Just playing depressed for pity are we?"

"You have no idea what I'm feeling! "

"You can tell me all about it, but I have something to tell you first. Your boyfriend is gone for days risking his life for you. How does that make you feel?"

Leif was shocked for a moment before averting his gaze while still rubbing his head.

"We clearly aren't together anymore"

"I see. So your friend is gone for days risking his life for you. How does that make you feel? Surely after all that you've been through together you still think of him as a friend."

Leif couldn't say anything but had a clear expression of sadness. He once again felt like staying still and silent as it made his heart ache much less.

"Come, you have to eat something. If you don't I'll hit you again but on your bottom this time."

Leif shrieked with embarrassment staring at the elder with wide open eyes and a little anger. The elder started walking back to the village. Leif stared at him for a few more moments, looked at the sea, down and every other direction in confusion. He started walking towards the elder because he couldn't decide what to do, following him was the easiest option, so he took it.

Upon entering the elder house he could see water and food on a table, already embarrassed he felt even more so as he stared at the food with his mouth watering.

"Come sit and eat, Leif. Please."

Leif averted his gaze as he gave a response.

"I can't..."

"Sure you can, just sit down and use your mouth."

Leif looked down as his expression turned to one of worry before saying:

"I can't... I tried.. It just won't go down."

The elder stared at him for a while. He was used to using humor to help make the environment friendly but this time he sensed the problem was too serious for discontration.

"Come sit, try to drink some water and it's okay if you can't. Let's talk a bit."

Leif stood still for a moment, brushing his right arm with his left hand and staring at nothing before slowly moving to sit in a wood chain in front of the elder. He took the clay pot filled with water with both hands and drank some water. The strong flow of the water meeting his dry throat made him coff. The elder stayed silent, waiting for Leif to either calm down or say something. This silence went on for a while. Leif kept staring at the ground with a sad expression after taking the water. The elder was about to speak when Leif spoke first.

"You said Ven is in danger?..."

"Yes, he went looking for the reaper's a few days ago but I'm sure he's ok. You should know better than anyone how strong he is."