Chapter 9

The bitter wind howled softly, rustling leaves and startling crows which shrieked in response. My back was pressed firmly against a cold, stone wall just below the ruins of the old castle of Temeria. Geralt was crouched beside me, eyes locked on to the derelict building that groaned and moaned with the wind.

I sighed, adjusting my position in an attempt to make myself more comfortable but the frosty rocks and icy terrain made it impossible. My ears perked up at the sound of footsteps. Turning my head, I spotted Triss making her way over to us. I offered her a small smile before nudging Geralt. When he ignored my jab for attention, Triss cleared her throat.

"You were both told to leave Temeria." She started, voice as sweet as honey. Geralt turned to face her and raised his arms in an oddly fashioned shrug. 

"But come on, these views." He grumbled, turning back to glare at the castle. I huffed at his sarcasm before sending Triss a look of sympathy. She shook her head and furrowed her brow. "Are you going to kill her?" Her voice lacked concern as if the question hadn't been linked to the death of a princess. 

"I don't want the miners coin." My face scrunched in confusion and disagreement.

"Why not? They're the ones that wanted the job completing. Shouldn't they pay us?" I asked, crossing my arms. 

"Apparently he doesn't even want my coin." Triss piped up. Geralt sighed and turned his gaze to me. 

"This job is different Y/n. Surely you know what I mean." His eyes held a pleading look as if he were begging for me to understand. Slowly, I nodded my head, our eyes still locked. Triss looked confused as she fiddled with the fur that lined her shall.

"What is this girl to you? Why do you care so much?" She asked, curiosity lacing her voice. 

"You first," Geralt began. "I saw how Foltest and his boy spoke to you. Why help those who don't listen?" He inquired, brow furrowed hard in thought. She sighed, dismissing his question with a shrug. 

"I'm sure someone as legendary as you has already figured out a way to get past those guards." She breathed, eyebrows raised. I rolled my eyes and picked up a decent sized rock before launching it in the castles general direction. A loud clang echoed near the entrance causing the guards to flinch and scurry away like a couple of scared mice.

"Was that legendary enough for you?" I shot towards Triss with a smug look. Geralt huffed and shook his head, pushing himself off of the floor before pulling me up too. Without the presence of the guards, investigating would be a piece of cake. 

We entered the ruined castle with steady caution. Every noise we made seemed to echo continuously throughout the desolate, stone corridors. Eerie light filtered through the murky, broken glass windows; illuminating the halls but not granting any warmth.

"Temeria reeks of secrets, I can sense them. Just like I could these bodies before we entered." Triss explained ominously. I stepped over a skeleton with a light crunch, shivering at the feeling beneath my boot. "I imagine you sensed them too?" 

It's true. The moment I'd laid eyes on this place something felt...off. It was almost as if the castle was crying out for help. Or rather something inside was. Geralt stayed silent, trying and failing to open numerous locked doors. 

A large painting of two children caught my attention. "Foltest and Adda." I muttered to myself as I continued to gaze into their frozen faces. 

"What could've happened to them." Triss asked, voicing my thoughts. I shook my head, my hair tickled my cheeks as I did so. "Not answering questions is a pillar of your brooding charm." She said towards Geralt to which he replied with silence.