Chapter 16

About two months had passed and everything was good, to my knowledge anyway. My relationship with Sam was progressing steadily, Leah was a bitch as is normal to us all, Emily was even more in her maternal state of mind, dad and nurse Emma had been on a few dates, Bella was still trying to talk to me and was still being ignored by both Jake and I. Things got interesting when we found out that Bella was suddenly gone for the weekend with her leech.

"What do you mean she's gone?" Jake asked.

"That's what Charlie told Billy and Mr. Duncan. I was taking some food to Billy and I overheard the conversation, she'll be gone all weekend. Supposedly visiting her mom." Sam told us.

"She told me that it takes three days to turn into a leech." Jake muttered.

"She wouldn't do that." I argued.

"You never know." Mike insisted.

"The leech lover isn't exactly the smartest bulb." Jared said.

"Hey!" Jake argued.

"He's not wrong, especially when it comes to the damn leech." I sighed from my perch on Sam's lap.

"She wouldn't do that to Charlie, not so soon after the Italy thing." Jake continued to argue.

"Let's hope so." I said.

"So when exactly did she leave?" Emily asked.

"Thursday night apparently." Sam replied.

"Today's Saturday . . ." Jared started to say.

"No shit Sherlock." I interrupted, making everyone laugh.

"What I meant was that she could be 2 days into . . ."

"She's not!" Jake growled.

"That's enough." Sam shouted.

"We talked about this, can you not do that when I'm sitting on your lap? You're gonna blow out my eardrum." I complained.

"Sorry babe." he chuckled.

"You always . . ."

A howl interrupted me and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Jared's girlfriend was sitting next to him and she looked afraid too. Emily and I aren't as phased anymore but the sound of that howl was really bad. All of the guys got tense, stoic even and then another more ominous howl followed. With a very shaky breath, I took Sam's face in my hands and kissed him.

"Go." I whispered.

Emily and Kim followed my actions, then all four guys were on their feet and out the door. A few seconds later Sam and Jared walked back in.

"What is it?" Emily asked.

"Until we know what's happening, none of you leave the house. Stay indoors." Sam stated.

"I have to go home." Kim argued.

"Okay, leave now and be careful. Jared, accompany her home and come back but you two stay here."

"Got it, go be an alpha." I said.

When he left I texted my father to let him know what was happening. He told me to stay here and if it got to be too late to just spend the night. That surprised me but I know that he trusts us, and although I have been severely tempted, we have not gone very far in our makeouts. Tempted but no dice. We've talked about it and he did confess to me that while he wasn't a virgin, he was willing to wait for me until I was ready.

"Is it always going to be like this?" I asked Emily.

"For as long as the vampires are here, yes. It's a shame but it's true." she sighed.