Chapter 58

I turned around and noticed three people walking over to us, two of them women and one man. They were all smiles but their eyes were trained on me. The vibes really are a bit uncomfortable, I don't like the calculating looks. I turned back to Emma in time to see her hand twitch, no doubt breaking our little bubble of silence.

"Hey guys!" she replied, quickly pasting a smile on her face. Jenna, Nico, Sasha, this is Nylah, my step-daughter."

"Hi, nice to meet you." I said to them.

"Is this her?" Nico asked and Emma quickly ushered them all away.

I'm aware that Emma is part of a coven and my wild guess is that these people are part of the coven as well. Dad told me that he gave her permission to tell them about us, about me. I don't know if that was a good idea but he says it is to keep me safe. I don't feel entirely comfortable about it though, I just found out, and now everyone around me knows.

"Nico stop . . . just a child . . . no you absolutely . . . you may not speak to her . . ."

I heard a few more snippets of their conversation and with each one, I felt more comfortable with Emma. I always have but this is just an extra layer of safe that I really appreciate. The two women are pretty chill, they seem calm and curious, but Nico, the hungry and slightly desperate look in his eyes is a little worrying. Dad has always warned me about the dangers of the supernatural species. How our gifts are coveted because of our direct connection to the earth. He's striking me as someone to be careful of.

"Sorry Ny, I didn't expect company." Emma said as she sat back down.

"They obviously know about me."

"Yes, your dad gave me permission . . ."

"I know, I just . . . I don't like the way he was looking at me." I admitted to her.

"He's a little intense, I know and I'm sorry. I promise he's harmless." she said.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive, you're in no danger from anyone in my coven."

"Thank you for today." I told her.

"It's no problem, really, I'm just so touched that you would come to me." Emma smiled.

"I wish I could take full credit."

"What do you mean?"

"You see, the guys have been worried about me but I can't talk to any of them about Bella-related issues because they don't like her at all. Emily isn't really fond of her either, not that I am at the moment but I can't talk to any of them. Em suggested I talk to you and I thought it was a brilliant idea. I should've thought of it."

"Well, I'm really touched that you reached out. Whenever you need someone to talk to, I'm here for you. This whole Bella thing is a big change for both of you. To a certain extent, both of you have a small degree of codependency on each other. Now both of you have to learn to accept each other's decision and learn to live without each other. You are angry and hurt by her choices as I'm guessing she is with you, it's to be expected since you both stand on such opposite sides of the line here. Bella made choices that alienated her from people who are supposed to be important to her and she'll have to live with that for a very long time."

"The thought of not having her in my life anymore saddens me. It's always been us against the world, we were a team." I said softly.

"I'm sure she feels the same way about you two being a team. Now you have to start the process of moving on."

"I don't have a choice in the matter."

"Okay, no more sad talk, let's do something happy." she smiled, taking my hand in hers.