Chapter 2

I fly gracefully into the ballroom, it is just as dark as the rest of the castle. The only light comes from the wax candles set exactly three feet apart from each other.
I land in front of my father’s throne. “You summoned me Father?”
“Your mother tells me you are unhappy child,” Father says in his deep regal tone. “Why is that so?”
My mother died many years ago and became a snitch wisp for my father.
*Should I tell him the truth?* I ask myself. I am struggling to build up the courage but then the various black pets my father gifted enter the room through the open ballroom doors, wolves, cats, ravens, crows, foxes and single stallion who had rats and mice hitchhiking on his back, finally my six snakes slither in the room and on to me, two around my neck, one for each arm and two around my waist. Knowing they are all with me I finally speak “Father I wish to venture past these stone walls, I’m 16 now, I’ve got to be old enough to leave the castle and explore the town nearby.”
I hear Mother whisper “I told you so.”
“Why do you wish to leave?” he asks ignoring Mother’s “Mother knows best” triumphant whispers.
“I do not wish to leave forever,” I explain. “Just once, just to experience the human world.”
“The human world is a dangerous place Hikari,” Father says. “Especially for a beautiful young girl like you.”
“I can take Akatsuki kun with me and some of my more poisonous pets,” I say indicating to the snakes around my waist.
“Hikari…”
“I can have the ravens and crows follow me,” I add, “I understand humans see them as bad omens.”
“Have I not given you enough here Hikari?” Father asks confused.
“You’ve given me everything except what God can give me Father,” I say, playing the God card should work, hopefully. “Light, I wish to dance under the moon light like a Moon Dragon should.”
Mother whispers something into Father’s ear, he sighs “Very well, one night, you can visit the town, but you must not fraternise with local peasants.”
I am filled with joy, “Thank you Father,” I say trying my best to remain my posture even with the snakes.
“You may leave tonight,” Father says.

Ramadan Mubarak