Chapter 4

I want to squeal with happiness. Before I can lose myself in excitement, Akatsuki trots over to me and places a warning hand on my shoulder. It was a signal that my father was watching us and that I shouldn't lose my composure. One of the two snakes around my neck hisses at the hand that lingered on my shoulder. Akatsuki pulls his hand back.
Before I could take-off a maid holding a scarf hurries towards us, "Hikari sama! Your Father says you must wrap this around your neck to keep yourself and your snakes warm in flight," she says. I nod. "You must also, hide the snakes on your arms in your sleeves and remove the snakes from your waist and give them to Akira-dono as he rides your stallion."
'Akira' is Akatsuki's clan name, his clan are Leopard shifters and have always served my clan. Akatsuki is the second son to the clan leader, which means that he is 'privileged' with serving me whilst his older brother gets married off to some other clan's princess.
His clan's custom puzzled me for a long time, but I once asked him if he was only my friend because he was made to be but he said he was truly my friend and was only being made to serve which didn't really bother him because he enjoyed spending time with me and my pets.
I did as instructed and then I released my wings and took off admiring the view from above.
I finally see the top of the bell tower and the black bell bearing billions of bats.
I hear the big metal gates below me open. I swoop down and fly just above Akatsuki as he rides out of the garden.