The Conversation

Now that Koda is here, everything is just so perfect. I love this little stinker even though he keeps me up at 3 in the morning because he's in a playful mood. It has been about a week now and Koda is 90% potty trained. His only challenge right now is night time, he just can't go the entire night which is extremely understandable, since he is only nine weeks old.

"Camilla will you come downstairs please?" Amelia called out. 

I walked downstairs and Charlie and Amelia both had grim looks on their faces. It felt like hours before one of them spoke and what came out of their mouths next had me scrambling upstairs packing a bag. I didn't know what to think or where to go. All I know is I am taking Koda with me. I wouldn't want to leave him here with these monsters. 

"Camilla, Amelia and I believe that if we are up straight and honest you will have a better reaction. Here honey, why don't you go ahead and sit down." He gestured for the mahogany kitchen table and chairs. "Listen Camilla, we know that you haven't lived with us for a very long time but it is time that Amelia and I are completely honest with you. The reason why the school kept tripping up and kept nearly calling you princess is because that's just what you are. You see, my father was once the King of my tribe."

"Charlie why don't you tell her the background story of what we are." Amelia said cautiously.

"You're right. Camilla, dear, just know that we love you and would never try to hurt you. Amelia and I are what humans would call Vampires. Now I know that sounds frightening but I promise it isn't. We would never hurt you, like ever. I promise-" I ran out of the kitchen and didn't look back.

"Come on Koda, we have to get out of here. I don't know where we are going to go, but we need to get out of here soon." There was a pleading knock on my door. I knew it was Amelia, since she's guarding the door I am going to have to sneak out the window. 

"Listen to me honey. I know what Charlie told you was a lot. I know that your brain only knows us as horrible monsters who drink human blood. But we are so much more than that, tell me, have you ever seen Charlie or myself drink anything mysterious? We have been so private and cautious about this because we didn't want to scare you. Just open the door dear, I don't want to have to break it down myself."

 I hesitated, I could jump now and never look back. Probably would end up back in the system if I am being honest with myself. But I took the leap of faith and opened up the door, Amelia had a tear running down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away and smiled at me, I saw the hope returning to her eyes. 

"Listen, I am not going to lie and say we are cool with each other. I still am in shock about all of this, I didn't ask for vampires as parents. However, you guys have been so loving and kind to me that I do feel as though if you were going to hurt me, you already would have. With that being said, my guard will always be up around you guys. Don't expect anything different, but I would still like to keep everything as normal." Amelia smiled at me, obviously happy that I didn't completely shut them out. I can't do such a horrible thing to such kind people. They have done nothing but taken care of me and made me feel special. I could never repay them for what they have done and I am going to make sure that they know my gratitude every single day. 

"Oh dear, I am so happy that you have come to that standpoint with us. I don't know what I would have done if you rejected us. I don't think I would have let you." I smiled at her, she is truly the sweetest. "But, I do have news for you. Vampires are not the only supernatural creatures. You may have noticed at your school that all of the students resemble Charlie and I. There's another competing school, and that school is for the werewolf population. Now I know that you are on edge about Charlie and myself, meaning that would naturally only put you on more edge about the students at your school. Charlie and I don't want you going to a public school because that's where human children attend and we don't want you to make a human friend, bring them home and then them discover my kind. But Charlie and I agreed that if you felt more comfortable with the werewolf children, we would be willing to send you there instead."