Chapter 9

At what we're now calling Swan Lake, Virgil and Remy were swimming down a small channel to meet up with Emile, Remus riding on Remy's back once again.

"So you're saying that when all of this is over you and Logan could have a biological child?" Remus asked.

"Yes. I don't know how, I'm just born this way," Virgil said, ducking his head in embarrassment.

"Not even trans?" Remy asked.

"Nope," Virgil hummed.

"Alright, you three!" a small voice caught their attention.

Emile was perched on a rock in front of them, his feathers fluffed up to make him look bigger than he actually was.

"You all know your roles in this?" the hummingbird asked.

"Yes sir, sir Emile!" Remus said and gave him a playful salute.

"All good here babe," Remy said.

"I'm ready when you are!" Virgil said.

"Alright! Let's go!" Emile buzzed, both the swan and the hummingbird lifting off and flying to the direction of Logan's kingdom.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

In a nearby forest Logan and Roman were stalking through the woods with their bow and arrows, Logan having dragged Roman along to help him in his expedition.

"I'm almost certain he's in here, Roman," Logan said.

"How will you know the Great Animal when you see it?" Roman asked, stumbling nervously around the undergrowth and barely avoiding tripping over his own feet.

"I believe I'll know. Better stay close," Logan told his friend.

"If you say so. Logan? Logan, where are you?" Roman cried, not noticing that it was only a tree that came between them and broken his line of sight, panicking because couldn't see his friend.

"Shh, shh!" Logan hissed, stalking into Roman's view.

"Oh, sorry," Roman mumbled.

Logan rolled his eyes and kept making his way through the forest.

"L-l-l-l-Logan. Logan? Oh-oh-oh-oh Logan!" Roman stuttered as a small dragonfly buzzed around him.

Roman tried to smack the insect out of the sky, but it proved to be too fast. And since the Great Animal could be anything, Roman screeched and took off running in the other direction after blindly firing an arrow into the sky.

Not far away, up in the sky, Virgil and Emile had been soaring through the clouds — well, Virgil had been. Emile, wanting conserve his relentless energy, had taken a seat on Virgil's back. But now he was buzzing around Virgil's head happily, speaking at lightning speed.

"We'd better keep an eye out for hunters," Virgil said.

"Oh definitely," Emile nodded and just a second later an arrow came flying out of the forest below, narrowly missing Emilie.

The hummingbird squeaked in surprise, darting behind Virgil's head as the prince gasped.

"Where did that come from?!" Emile demanded, looking around.

Down below, the duo heard someone shouting.

"Logan!"

"Logan! He's here!" Virgil gasped, preparing to dive.

"Virgil! Virgil, control yourself! Stick to the-" Emile started, but was cut off by Virgil diving down to the forest.

"Virgil!" Emile cried, rocketing after him.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back in the forest, Roman had heroically pinned a mouse to an old stump. He had an arrow aimed at it, and the mouse was clearly, utterly terrified.

"Oh, I've got you now. Don't give me that innocent look. Change! Go ahead, change! I'm not afraid of you!" Roman said, but fear was clear in his voice.

The mouse squeaked as if to plead for its life, and Roman screamed, bravely crashing through the forest... like a frightened child.