Chapter 12

Back at swan lake Hrothbart had cruelly locked Virgil in one of the towers, fill with water of course. He had dropped some rose in the water below for Virgil, who in turn snapped and destroyed the flowers to show his anger. The prince glared up at the enchanter with hatred burning in his eyes.

"It truly hurts me to lock you up, Virgil. I hope you know this. Hurts me deep. But then, a king's day is full of tough decisions. You understand. Oh, now you're mad at me again. Doggone it, I can't do nothing right! Head full of pudding, that's me. Well, I can't leave you like this. If you're not happy, I'm not happy. Hmm... I know! If you can't attend the ball, then I'll bring the ball to you! Let's see... the first thing you need is a young man. The prince is busy, of course, but I think I can arrange a substitute," Hrothbart monologued as Virgil attacked the roses he had thrown into the half-flooded tower.

Virgil watched as the man disappeared only to reappear with a clearly terrified Roman.

"No, please, I beg you, please!" he said, holding onto the wooden doorframe as to not be shoved into the water below.

"Oh, poor fellow, he got lost in the woods while hunting," enchanter quipped as he pushed a Roman into the water.

Virgil dove underwater and grabbed Roman's collar, dragging him to the surface and over to a chain hanging from the ceiling. Roman grabbed onto it and shivered, his cloths dripping wet from his little plunge.

"Oh, I'd love to stay, but if I don't leave now I'll be late. D-don't give me that look, mister, had to be sneaky, didn't you? Had to drag your weakling prince into it, didn't you? That's fine with me, just fine with me!" Hrothbart said as Virgil looked up at him with his best Puppy Eyes™. Hrothbart ended up trying to slam the door shut, but Virgil noticed a certain rat on the frame, keeping it from closing completely.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

At Patton's castle the place was flooding with people, princes, dukes and more were flowing into the palace by every mode of transportation.

"Every single prince on the planet, prayed to be invited to the ball. Every Porto, Lancelot, and Janus, would come by coach or boat to be here. Most would swim the moat to be here. Just to be at this historic gala. Boys would walk around or even crawl. Rumor is that at this joyous scene tonight. The prince will likely choose his future queen tonight," the footmen, servants and couch-men all chorused.

Inside the castle Joan was running around the room trying to avoid al, the gathering people.

"Uh, excuse me. Oh, excuse me," they said as they ran down the hallway to Patton's room, "Excuse me, Your Highness!"

"Yes, yes, Joan," said Patton as he and Logan finished getting dressed for the event.

"It's really getting rather crowded," Joan said, glancing over his shoulder at rapidly filling ballroom.

"Very well, you may begin the introductions," Patton said, toying with his curls.

Joan nodded and left.

"Promise me, Logan, you'll tell me who is the moment he arrives," said Patton look over at his son.

"Don't worry, father, you'll know. Believe me, you'll know," Logan said as he finally finished adjusting his tie for the upteenth time.