Chapter 5

Carlos's POV

I stared at Luca with disbelief in my eyes.
"Help you? How am I supposed to do that?" I asked, trying to hide my nervousness behind an inquisitive mask.

"For starters, you could agree to a questioning where you'd answer any questions we have. Apart from that, we'd also need for you to tell us any information about the Nationalist which you know is highly guarded."

I pondered over his words, as it didn't seem as bad as I thought. Despite this, I didn't trust their methods, or the seemingly simple way he outlined, as the past few years, if they taught me anything, it's to always be on your guard and never trust anything that looks too easy.

"And what if I refuse to comply? Or to even be a part of this at all?" I asked, narrowing my eyes in suspicion.

Luca's mouth lifted into a half-smile. "You still don't trust us, and I understand that completely. Of course, we hope it wouldn't come to that, but it would probably involve something along the lines of lifelong imprisonment or death. However, if you do agree to this", he paused "we would be all too happy to answer any other questions you may have which I'm not allowed to answer yet."

I leaned back onto the bedframe and thought. The simple way would be to just agree with what he's offering, and it would also serve as a way to get back at Romero for almost killing me. Another idea brightened up in my mind.

"What about Lidia?" I asked "How is she? Where is she?" I pressed on.

Luca straightened up "Sadly, I can't tell you that just yet. It's one of those 'things' I cannot reveal until you agree to help us. Surely finding out the wellbeing of your daughter's mother should be reason enough for you to help us?"

My head snapped to face him "How do you know about Eva?" I demand. "I swear if you did anything to her..."

"Calm down. We're not the enemy here, alright? Like I said before, we don't stoop to their level."

A long sigh escaped Luca's lips "It's clear that you still don't trust us. Maybe this will help put things into perspective..."

He brandished a walkie-talkie from his jeans and ordered them to engage. Surely enough, the sound of a doorknob creaking caught my attention.

The door swung open to reveal an all too familiar silhouette. As he stepped in, I registered the familiar suit getup, mustache, hat and coal-hued hair.
Last I saw those dark brown eyes was also the last time I saw her.

"Francisco?" I gaped in disbelief. "You're working with them?"

He strode in confidently, grabbed a chair from a nearby table and took a seat next to Luca.

"Hello to you too" he replied sarcastically. Upon seeing my unamused expression, he continued "To answer your question, yes I am. Luca here joined the same time I did, so we know each other quite well."

I stayed silent for a while, allowing my brain to process what I'm just finding out. I then fix him with an accusatory stare "Was it you who told him not to tell me anything about Lidia?" I say as I narrow my eyes at him.

He shifted on his seat "Well, since I knew how much you valued that information, I did inform them of its value. But Carlos, listen to me." he prompted as I shook my head at him, disappointed.

"If you help us, we won't just tell you how she is. I'll also let you help me in another mission of mine in which she is concerned, and I'm positive that you'd want to be involved in it. I swear by it. What do you say?"

I narrowed my lips as I contemplated the affair. Francisco's offer seems a lot more promising than the earlier one made by Luca.

"And you swear you'll tell me all there is to know about Lidia and Eva? And that I'll get to see them?"

Francisco looked down "The first part I can promise you, the last part depends on how successful our mission is." he admitted.

Crap, Lidia must be in more trouble than I thought. So, with her and my daughter in mind, I agreed to cooperate with them, and they each pulled out a notepad in anticipation of my answers.

*** Thanks for reading guys! I hope you liked it, if so then please vote and comment your reactions to this chapter. Thanks for your support!- B***