Chapter 11

Lidia's POV

I sat in my bunk, contemplating how I would go about getting thrown into solitary. I could try getting into a physical fight with one of the inmates, but the outcome of it is very unpredictable. Besides, some of these women are positively terrifying, and with Doña Carmen at the helm of this facility, I can't really be sure about being saved by one of the officers under her command.

Then, I suddenly got an idea. The inspiration came upon reminiscing about my old life back in simpler times with Marga, Ángeles, Carlota and Óscar. To set it in motion, I decided that my best accomplice would be Nadia, if I could convince her to trust me on this.

"Psst, Nadia" I whispered below me. Her head popped up, curiosity evident in her face. "Listen, there is a plan underway, and I need your help. Would you be willing to help me?" I asked her in a low voice. Upon hearing this, she climbed up to my bunk, and asked "What would I have to do?" I smiled at her reply and then asked in reply "Do you trust me?" She hesitated and replied in a cautious tone " Yes, I do...but Lidia, tell me the truth. Does your plan involve" she scooched closer before continuing in a lower voice "getting out of here?" I sighed deeply before nodding my head.

She then surprised me by saying "Listen, I know that it is assumed that whoever finds out about a prison escape, they usually want to participate. But you know my case, and because of how complex it is, I think I'd be less safe out there alone, ironically. If I escape" she paused while gulping "they'll be out to kill me." The corner of my mouth moved down in empathy, as I knew she was right about that.

A few minutes later, lunch was announced. The guard came to open our cell and escort us to the canteen. Almost as soon as we moved beyond the confines of our cell, I turned to face Nadia and crashed my lips on hers. Her eyes widened in surprise and shock, and I felt a pair of arms rip me away from her. I was faintly aware of the sound of whistling and cheering, from other inmates presumably, against the loud voice in my ear shouting obscurities at me. As I was dragged away in a different direction from the canteen, I turned my head back to look at Nadia, who stood rooted in her place, her big eyes on me. I winked at her in conspiracy, and by the way her mouth opened and closed shortly afterwards, she understood my motive.

After being hauled through multiple twisting and turning passageways, I found myself in an unfamiliar area of this facility, which I never saw women roam before. Before I knew it, a heavy metal door opened, and I was pushed, almost thrown, inside the dark space. When I regained my balance, I turned my face towards the door only to see my primary source of light close me into the unknown.

It took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, and I could dimly see what was around me. A plain bed was in one corner of the room, while opposite it in another corner was a toilet and sink. My heart started racing when I remembered Francisco's letter, and hoped that he was right and I was placed in the correct room. There was only one way to find out.

I glanced at the door and started singing softly as I made my way towards the toilet. The song was one which I used to sing Eva when she was still a baby. I grabbed the sides of its cistern and pulled with all my might. At first, it wouldn't budge, and a pang of panic started to build up in my chest. But then, it started to move out, and I tried to do so as silently as possible, my singing rising louder when necessary to mask the noise. Finally, the hole in the wall was accessible, so I kneeled and reached my hands inside to feel for the items Francisco told me about. Surely enough, my hands closed around two items, which when I pulled out were the flashlight and a crowbar instead. My eyebrows knotted in confusion as I then checked what else was in the hole. My hands finally found the large tape recorder, a wonder it fit in the hole, and beneath it I felt something soft like fabric. I closed my fingers around what it was to find that it was another outfit. That did make sense, it would be too obvious if I escaped in my prisoner clothing.

I then placed everything back in and placed the toilet back in its place. As I ceased from my singing, I finally let relief flood me, as everything was going according to plan so far.

In 4 days, I would be out of this hellhole, and if not, it'd be safe to assume me dead.

***Sorry for the late upload guys, was quite busy the past week!
So, you guys know that the next half of the season is coming out early next month on Netflix, and I would love to know whether you guys plan on watching it or not, given how Episode 5 ended. I personally am still undecided.
Let me know in the comments below, and vote if you liked this chapter. The end is nearing us soon!-  B***