Runaway

Yoon Seri loves to run.  When she was just three, she outruns her brothers when they threaten to beat her up.  In school, she rushes past the bullies who want to have a go at the richest girl in Gangnam. At twelve-years-old, she bolts from kidnappers who set out to seize her for ransom. Running saves her.

Yoon Seri also likes to run away.  She runs away from her family when living with them becomes intolerable. She runs away from ardent suitors when they start to declare their love.  She runs away from colleagues when they become too friendly.  Running away guards her heart.

When Yoon Seri runs away this time, she convinces herself that she really needs to go home.  Seoul is where she should be, not in the backwoods of North Korea. She checks if Captain Ri is still asleep and listens through his door.  There is silence.

Seri gathers the paraglider, closes the gate and starts her trek on the dusty road until she reaches the top of a cliff.  She surveys the sky and gauges the wind direction. "It's a good day to fly away," she thinks.  

She remembers Ri Jeong Hyeok's kiss, the one inspired by a hundred Korean dramas, the one given to save her.  She tenses and shuts her eyes. She has to run now.

When she opens her eyes, she sees that he has arrived, worried and catching his breath. He ignores that she has just tried to escape him.  Instead,  he devises a plan to avoid military detection for them both. Captain Ri wraps his arms around her and brings the two of them over the cliff's edge.

As the paraglider's wings open and halt their fall, they both take in a breath. They sail through the mountains and the fog surrounding them thickens, hiding them from sharp eyes.

She looks up at him, speechless, and he smiles, a deep dimple appearing. Relief washes away the thought of escape. She places her cheek on his chest, breathing him in and clutching his shirt tight.

She is captured.