Duty

"He can do much better."

The stranger's words still rankle, Dan admits. And now, years after that fateful day on the bridge, those words rush back as Ri Jeong-Hyeok stands before her - flushed and speechless, with another female by his side. Dan watches as he takes the stranger's arm and leads her back to his simple home, strict in his instructions for her to stay inside.

Dan has pictured their reunion countless times in seven years. The scenarios in her mind stretched from the ordinary to the absurd, but they all ended with Jeong-Hyeok's declaration of love, a warm embrace and a passionate kiss. In all those storylines, she does not include another woman.

There is silence in the car on the way back to Pyongyang, but Dan takes note of his actions. Number of times he checks his watch – once for every town they pass. Number of moments he sighs – every time the light turns red.

Dan opens the topic of their engagement and he assures her of his cooperation. She recounts her stint in Russia, her experience in the symphony orchestra and about performing Chopin – something she knows he loves. He tells her he hasn't played the piano in a long time.

She takes a deep breath and gathers her hair to one side, exposing her long neck. She turns to him and places her hand near his. Dan talks about love, how they should love each other since they are to be married.

With the slightest pursing of his lips, Jeong-hyeok moves his hand to change gears. He speeds up her uncle's car and the stoplights of Pyongyang turn green for them. They arrive at her place earlier than expected.

Dan shuts the door louder than she intends to and heads towards the open elevator.

"It's Switzerland all over again," she thinks. She gets a brief mental picture of the stranger who took their first picture together.

Her eyes widen as the elevator doors close.

A/N Photo from Mettacultura