Chapter 1: Jack

My home was on the Western side of Milwaukee, and no, not the city in Wisconsin on Earth. Milwaukee is - well was - my home planet.

It was in a small galaxy, a planet often overlooked by the people on Earth. However, we were far more advanced than any other planet that we knew of.

And well, the reason that I keep saying was, is because my planet was destroyed years ago.

And I helped cause it.

***

Now of course I didn't mean to destroy my planet, but I helped them reach their destination. At the time, I was nine years old, and because I was nine, I didn't understand who they were.

I remember that day, I don't think I could forget. I was playing with Juniper, my critter, in my front yard. Two odd-looking creatures came up to me, their faces were covered with dark hoods and their skin was a metallic silver color. I was a little suspicious because they looked nothing like us.

Then they asked me my name. I told them no because -you know- privacy reasons. They didn't care and asked me where the capitol building was. I just assumed they were tourists so I told them to head North.

***

An hour later there was an explosion at the capitol.

Jets that didn't belong to us were dropping bombs across the planet. We were caught by surprise, with no time to fight back. Our world had turned into a war zone, and it was my fault.

My dad had run out the front door with my mom and little sister Ella, grabbed my arm, and started running.

For ten minutes straight we sprinted, street after street before stopping in an alleyway. My dad ripped a sheet off of something in the back of the alley, revealing a small jet.

He opened the doors, motioning for us to jump in. After everyone was in, my dad started the aircraft.

Then, something happened, a creature like the ones I saw earlier came into the alley. Before my dad could take off, it put a magnetic bubble around us. The jet froze, then was dropped back to the ground.

My parents jumped out of the jet and approached the robot, pulling their guns out of their back pockets. Then the thing that haunts me the most happened.

My dad pointed his gun at the alien and shot at it but the bullet just bounced off the damn robot. Then the robot grabbed my parents by the neck, starting to strangle them both.

The last words my dad ever said to me was, "I love you son, now, I need you to run." And that's exactly what I did, I grabbed my sister, jumped out of the jet, and we ran far out of reach of the robot and my parents.

As we ran I heard two loud snaps behind us. Back then I didn't know what it was. Now, I do.

For the first time in my life I didn't know where to go, everywhere was chaos. Then large arms grabbed me from behind. At first I panicked, then I looked and saw that it was one of my dad's friends. I was relieved that Ella was still with me.

Mr. Andrews took us to the airfield and started guiding us to a rocket. We were about to board when someone speaks from my left, "There's only enough room for one more on this Ted. The second rocket has more space. Give me one of them."

No, they won't separate me and my sister, I won't let them.

But before I could say anything, my six year old sibling was hugging me, telling me that she'd see me when we got to wherever we were going.

Then she walked away to the second ship with Mr. Andrews as an older man pushed me into the rocket. I still don't know how she was so brave, she was only six.