Chapter 8: Katrina

As I step inside my room, my eyes immediately trail to my bed. I quickly throw on a tank top along with a pair of sweatpants before flopping dramatically onto my green comforter. My eyes slip shut and I almost immediately fall asleep. 

Gosh I didn't know practically getting kidnapped took so much out of you. I muse.

***

The next day, I wake up feeling better and grab my phone from my nightstand, opening Jack's contact.

"Hey, I'm feeling better today, wanna train some more?"

"Yay, you're feeling better! Actually, my parents wanted to meet you if you're up for it."

"Sure, I'll be right over."

"Okay. See you soon."

"Bye."

I toss my phone on the sheets and roll out of bed, running to the shower. Five minutes later I jump out and throw on the things nearest to me - a grey hoodie and jeans. After brushing my teeth, I run downstairs and pull my sneakers on, running out the door a few seconds later.

***

When I arrive, Jack opens the door and I smile at him, my eyes shifting to his parents who are sitting on their couch. "Please, take a seat." His mother says, motioning to the chairs across from them. 

Slowly, I sit in the gray armchair, letting myself sink into the cushion a bit. Jack sits on the arm of my chair, crossing his arms before glancing down at me with a smile. 

"So," His father says, drawing my attention toward him, "you're Jack's Connector?" I look up at Jack, not knowing he had told his parents about me. 

Turning back to the pair, I smile shyly, "Yeah I think so." They nod slowly, in unison, "Do you mind showing us what you can do?" 

I can already tell they are people of few words, getting straight to the point. "Dad!" Jack yells at his father, who is still staring at me. "I told you about yesterday didn't I! She shouldn't be exerting too much energy. It could hurt her." 

Jack's father looks from me, to his son, and back to me again. "Katrina, do you mind showing us what you can do? If you're well enough." I can tell they really want to see them as the father stares me down. 

"Of course I wouldn't mind." I say, looking over at Jack. "I'm feeling better now. I'll be okay." His mother looks satisfied, clasping her hands together she smiles, "Well I'm glad to hear it, let's get started."

We head back in the direction of the old restaurant, not quite going to the same spot though. Neither of us want to encounter those people again. "Ok guys, you ready?" 

Jack asks when we reach a secluded spot. They nod, stoic as they turn their gaze to me. I walk over to Jack and place my palms out. He takes a deep breath and gently places his hands on mine. 

His parents look on in awe as the sphere forms, the red hue gradually getting brighter. I smile a bit, it's taking less time than when we first waited for the sphere to grow. 

We're getting better. 

Soon enough, our hands become a flame. Jack let's go if my hands and we both allow the fire to consume us. I look over at Jack's mother and father to see them gleaming at us. 

When I turn back to Jack, we move our fire so it recedes from everywhere but our hands. We grin at each other, glad we impressed his parents. 

Eventually I begin to tire and look at Jack. He nods and I allow my fire to dissipate, watching as Jack dies the same.

Looking at his parents for any sort of comment, I notice their awe has once again been replaced by stoic faces. "Wow." Jack's mom breathes. "Wow is right. Kids, this is amazing and you're so young. Most people don't find their Connector and discover their ability until they are seventeen." 

Jack's dad claps and I blush. I'm not used to this sort of attention from anyone except my mom. Jack walks over to me and smiles, mouthing the words, "Good job." I grin and return the gesture "You too." 

***

As I'm walking back home, I think to myself, What are Jack and I going to do when those people try to get us again? Clearly they're not backing down anytime soon. 

Whistling, I continue home and grab my key out when I reach my neighborhood. When I unlock the door and step inside, my mom is waiting for me. 

She's usually at work right now, but something's wrong. I can see she's been… crying. "Oh, hey baby." She sniffs. "Come here." 

She motions for me to come closer, I do as she says and takes my hands, "Your dad and I haven't been getting along very well as you probably could have seen. I just can't live with him anymore, he's changed. We've thought about it a lot and decided we are going to get a divorce."

My eyes widen in shock, not believing what she just said. "We've been married for seventeen years and these past two years he's been consumed with his work. I can't do it anymore, I'm so sorry honey." 

I don't cry, he's not my real dad so it doesn't affect me as much. But I comfort my mom anyways, knowing how much she loved her soon to be ex husband, "It's ok, don't worry we'll be fine." 

Then she tells me something that does make me want to cry. "Honey, your dad's keeping the house, we have to leave. My parents asked us to live with them in Minnesota." 

I gasp and cringe away, as if hit. "No! W-we can't. I just made a friend mom, all this time and I met a friend. You can't just rip me away from him!" 

I sound like a toddler as I run to my room and lock the door behind me. Grabbing my phone, I text Jack, saying I need to meet him, that it's urgent. He tells me he's free the rest of the day and I ask if nine-thirty will work. 

Nine-thirty works for the both of us and while I wait, I can't help but cry. I cry and I scream into my pillow, trying to make it stop. But tears continue streaming down my face. 

***

At nine I get ready, throwing my shoes and jacket on carelessly. But instead of using the door, I climb out my bedroom window, so I don't have to tell my mom where I'm going. 

I use a tree to climb down to the ground. I walk slowly, taking time to think about what will happen now, if I leave. Jack won't be able to defend himself when those people return for him. 

He hasn't trained enough, and won't have his fire as an assistant. They'd capture him in an instant, we need each other. 

I ponder over this until I reach the park, noticing Jack's already here. It hits me then, and I realize I've been crying, Jack notices too, rising to meet me. 

"What's wrong Katrina?" He says, searching my eyes. "My foster parents got divorced a-" I choke back a sob. "and I have to leave with my mom. She's gonna make me go to Minnesota." I collapse on a bench, and cover my eyes, letting out a sob.

I don't want to leave.